My toddler chokes often

He's 14 mons and he's got 12 teeth he just doesn't really chew too well so I keep mushing his food real well. Has anyone gone through this I can't exactly teach him to chew he thinks its a game. He's scared us to death few times choking so we make sure that he doesn't get anything too solid...advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I wish i could help but I have no clue :( So here's a bump
    nickynova

Answer by nickynova at 8:37 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Only advice I have is to make sure everything is cut up small enough to where he can eat it
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 8:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Only advice is to cut his food up, but the only way for him to learn is by trying. You're not going to prevent this and he isn't going to learn if he isn't given the choice. It's going to take some. Show him with your mouth, even if you have to chew like a cow, how to chew food. And by "Like a cow" I mean mouth open so he can see. He'll eventually get it, but like I said he's never going to learn if you don't give him that option.

Cut his food into small pieces. That reduces the choking hazard. Only feed him foods that are easily mushed in his mouth.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 1st and 3rd were like that. What I did was cut the food up into tiny pieces and then I would give them just a few at a time tthat way they could not get too much in their mouth. I would not give them more till they swallowed and showed me an empty mouth.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010