If a person wants to know a lot about a field that doesn't deal with his or her profession, is this an obsession?

I am a biologist, but I also love learning about travel, art, classical music and opera, Greek mythology, astronomy, science fiction, and yoga.

rital38

Asked by rital38 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• No not at all. I would call it an interest.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 8:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's not an obsession unless it gets in the way of other important areas of your life, like work and family. I crochet and read a lot, I don't consider these obsessions but hobbies.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it's a hobby
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Not at all! It just means you're broadening your horizons and I give you major kudos for that! :-)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 8:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think you have very well-rounded interests and a thirst for knowledge and enjoyment of life. Sounds good to me!
    Momluv269

Answer by Momluv269 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• IMO Learning doesn't have anything to do with your profession. Curiosity is a beautiful thing, and knowledge is power!
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If it interferes with your ability to function in and cope with your daily life then its an obsession. Most people are interested in su jects outside their field, its totally normal.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No, not unless it's taking over your life or stopping you from living a normal life... I'm a wedding planner & a mom... But I study ancient & world religions, ancient civilizations & vaccine truths... None of those things have ANYTHING to do with my field, I just love knowing all of it, always have!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 8:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well that would be like saying you could never read a book or watch any show or listen to any program unless it had to do with your choosen career...That's silly, its called learning and more people should do it more often, CULTURE.. unless it is interferring with everyday life more repeatedly ;-)
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010