Has anyones child had a breath-holding spell that turned into their child posturing, eyes rolling back in their head, stiffening and making grunting noises?

My son did it 5 times between 1 and 2 years.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 8:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is NOT a seizure...
    My son used to do this quite a bit when he was between 1 and 2 as well. I did bring it up with my pedi, and he said that it was a form of a temper tantrum and that he would grow out of it, and he has. He hasn't done it in a while, and he's a month past 2.
    It's SO scary to watch, and my pedi said there's really nothing you can do but just monitor him, and he'd always "pass out" and start breathing again.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 8:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Are you sure it wasn't a seizure that made him stop breathing? Usually breath holding just resulting in the body forcing them to breathe or they just pass out uneventfully

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• That was a seizure. The scene you described is not the same thing as a toddler deliberately holding their breath. If they are holding their breath on purpose 9 times out of 10 they will release and choose to breathe on their own. The other 1 out of 10 they will pass out, but it would be like a faint and not what you described.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yea, I'm not an expert but is sounds a lot like a seizure.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It was a breath-holding spell. It's called Complicated Breath-Holding spell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breath-holding_spells

BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• So what causes your son's episodes? The articles mention heart and anemia issues as possibilities

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Nothing really. It was just a common episode that happens. And sometimes runs in families. His EKG is fine. They outgrow it by age 6.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• WOW, that's crazy. Did it scare the crap out of you the first time it happened?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Are you kidding? LOL severely. And I had folks saying oh he is throwing a fit, teach him to not be a brat. I was like..? You didn't see him, it wasn't voluntary, it was involuntary and led to what looked like a seizure, not, just brattyness.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Jul. 7, 2010