How old were your kids when you let them play outside by themselves?

When i say "by themselves" i mean with very little adult supervision. Also, let's say you're in a decent neighborhood.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 8:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't have kids close to that age but my niece and nephew (4 and 5) play outside by themselves alot. Windows and doors are always open and there is always a view to where they are and can hear them just fine. I think that is a fine age. Whenever the child is mature enough to be trusted not to run in a road or come inside when danger strikes..
    Miss.Cullen

Answer by Miss.Cullen at 8:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 5 1/2 and we haven't yet.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 8:49 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 2
    sarahmcdaniel

Answer by sarahmcdaniel at 8:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My older boys are 5 and 6 and still haven't been allowed outside without me. If they're on their bikes I watch them through our window and have it open so I can hear them.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• At my mom's I let her at 4 with my sister who is 4 years older (she was 8 at the time). Mom lives out in the country and has only a few close neighbors and we know them all really well.
    Here, in the city, I only let her once and that was a week or two ago. She's 5 1/2 now. She was out playing frisbee in the yard with my sister and I couldn't stop looking through the window to make sure she was still there. It will be a little while before I let her out w/out an actual adult again. Just a little too nerve wracking for me. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• 6-7 in the back yard, 10ish for the front. To go to friends houses that are directly across the street 12. Each kid matures differently though so a lot depends on that.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• He's 9 and he never will due to his autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• ds is 4 and allowed to play in the back yard by himself, but I don't foresee him being allowed to play in the front by himself for a long long time. Decent neighborhood or not, you don't know who is lurking around the corner. Call me paranoid, I don't care, sure most kids don't get kidnapped playing in their front yard, but I bet the parents of the kids that do wish they would have been a bit more cautious of what they let their child do.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 8:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• There isn't a blanket age, dd was 7 but in my neighborhood, your kids aren't outside alone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Ages 36, 34, 32, 29... Yes

Sorry I needed to answer one more question, I have to go to bed soon work at 5am...LOL
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010