Husband's PTSD is getting out of control and painful, I need advice from those who know.

My husband is a decent and caring man who does more than his share of helping with the kids, respecting me, cleaning, etc. His good traits far outweigh the bad. However, I have nowhere to turn as far as dealing with his extreme and unrational mood swings lately.

Sean was career Army since age 17 (retired disabled now). In 2004-2005, Sean was deployed to Iraq as his unit's platoon sgt. He witnessed a ton of horrible situations, but the icing on the cake was when they were coming home and ran over an IED. It should have killed them but they were all spared. Sean now has physical issues as well as severe post traumatic stress disorder.

He does not drink heavy or beat any of us, thank God. But he can be really mean and says things he can't ever take back. He gets really pissed over small things and is angry for days. I don't know what to do, it's hurting the kids as well as me.

Advice?

Mom2LeahNathan

Asked by Mom2LeahNathan at 9:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Is he on meds for it?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My husband has the same problem. His doctor (non-military) put him on Paxil and it has done wonders. All you can do is suggest he get help and hope he does. There are side effects to all medications so, choose carefully. Good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• He should go to counseling. Meds can help, but it will only mask it for now. He should really go to counseling to help him deal with it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yes, layh, i agree. counseling will really really help. gl
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have PTSD, not battle related, but I am on Zoloft for it and I can tell you that it has worked wonders. He needs to be in counseling and on medication. It will benefit your whole family. The source of his PTSD obviously and understandably brings out anger and frustration. Counseling will help him deal with those emotions in a healthy way. The disorder will never go away, but the right help can make all the difference when it comes to coping. If/when he does get a counselor, he should look into a cognitive behavior group. My counselor signed me up for it and it really opened my eyes to alot of irrational thinking that I didn't even know was going on. I thank your husband for his service from one veteran to another. My husband is in Afghanistan right now, so that on top of also having PTSD, this question really hit home for me. I know it must be difficult, but just try to be as patient and understanding as possible. God bless
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh, he does take medication (it may need an adjustment but he is one of those guys who hates being on meds) and he has to go to the VA regularly since his disability is being treated by them and is part of his disability rating. I need advice on how, as a wife, I can help him without being a nag.
    Mom2LeahNathan

Comment by Mom2LeahNathan (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my husband was in the marine corps and was in an ied explosion he also has ptsd you just have to stay supportive and love him go through the rough situations just remember there is a sunny side you just got to ride out the storm
    phewilljon

Answer by phewilljon at 9:47 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks, I have been riding the storms now for a while. Just hate it when it's the "kick the dog" affect. One small thing makes him mad and (this time) we are paying for it for over 3 days now!
    Mom2LeahNathan

Comment by Mom2LeahNathan (original poster) at 10:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My husband had the same problem-(non-military) He finally went to a Anger Mangement Program & it helped him alot- It was different than counseling b/c it was a group of men that all had the same problem and really connected- Wishing you lots of luck- I know how hard it can be to deal with!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2010