My daughter had a baby a week ago today and is breastfeeding her.

In NICU, they kept her on a 3 hour feed schedule. She's only been home one night and Rilye does not want to nurse every 3 hours. It's more like 4- 4 1/2 hours. The info we read says "wake her up and feed her and keep her on a schedule" but my daughter says when she wakes her up on the 3-hour schedule, she isn't hungry and doesn't want to nurse. How often should she be breast-fed per day at a week old?

Thank you in advance,

GiGi

GiGix630

Asked by GiGix630 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1-2 hrs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think I breast fed every 2-3 hours. But if her daughter isnt hungry every 3 hours then she should feed her every 4 hours
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i think it depends on the baby. if she is underweight then i would wake her, if not let her decide when she is hungry.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• well i guess it might be different bc she was in the nicu? bc they always told me to feed on demand or every 4 hours. when she wakes her up at 3 hours she could take off the swaddle, change the diaper and if that doesn't arouse her enough she could try taking off all of her clothes to wake her up. i had to do that with my first son
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• On demand. When baby wants it, baby gets it. No need to schedule. Only wake her up if she sleeps over 4 hours and try to feed. Either way. Anytime baby is hungry, feed her. Never schedule a breastfed baby.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She should technically be fed on demand. There is no set schedule. And a sleeping baby isn't hungry so don't wake her up to nurse. If she only wants to feed every four-four and a half hours that's fine. She should have six to eight wet diapers a day and you'll know she's getting enough. congrats!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't wake a baby up to feed it. She'll let Mom know when she's hungry.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I BF every 4 hours and that was from day one. I am a believer in never wake a sleeping baby once they are a month old so waking her up every 3 hours and she is not hungry then wake her after4 hours change her diaper and allow her in just a oneies and that doesn't get her awake enough to eat then take all the clothing off and no covers and hav her get something into the baby.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She weighed 7, 4 at birth. Had a little fluid in her lungs and a digestive problem. She now weighs 7, 1... but is doing great! Waking her up, unswaddling her, changing her diaper and going skin to skin... she falls asleep on her breast. Today she didn't want to eat until 3.5 hours later... now 4 hours.

She eats good when she's hungry, but isn't happy when being forced to adhere to the 3 hour schedule NICU had her on.
    GiGix630

Comment by GiGix630 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Feeding her when she's hungry should be fine, barring any health concerns. She should have 6-8 wet/dirty diapers a day; as long as that's being met, she's getting enough to eat, and there's no need to make her eat when she's not hungry.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:33 PM on Jul. 7, 2010