Is it really important for kids to play sports?

Where I live, it seems that everyone places a high priority on their children playing sports. I have two daughters, the oldest whom is five so it hasn't been an issue yet, but I have to admit if I had my way they wouldn't play sports at all. Sports bore me to tears, and I do not like the idea of giving up our weekends during the nicest times of the year to go to games. I would certainly sign my girls up if they ever asked to play a sport, and I would cheer them on at their games, but I'm thinking of not suggesting it to them and just waiting to see if they ever express the desire on their own. Is this wrong of me? Will they miss out on something important if they don't play sports?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• my dd loves playing soccer and I wouldn't change it, she has so much fun. her and my younger dd also take karate and gymnastics. totally worth it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it is important for kids to be active, not necessarily participate in team sports.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its not important to me at all. I'd rather they focus on academics

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it really depends on the kid. I personally hated sports and wanted to be in stuff like drama club and choir instead. My husband was really into playing sports and was in wrestling, football, and cross country. I have one son who I know will want to play sports and one who I'm almost certain will not. For now, I have them in swim and karate. Swim for safety, fun, and exercise, and karate for focus and discipline. Right now they are enjoying both, but I plan to listen to them when they tell me what activities they are interested in.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it is at least important to let them try to see if they would even ever want to. I had mine play and when he asked to stop, we stopped, no big deal.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it's a great way for kids to be active, learn responsibility and teamwork. i will encourage my kids to do some kind of sport

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i think that is the way to go. you should never have to talk them into playing. let them decide. i would not let my kid quit a team once on it though, even if it was an inconvenience. i liked girlscouts more than softball or basketball anyway.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No, not at all. There are plenty of healthy, well adjusted kids who don't play sports. As long as they are being physical in one way or another, I don't see why sports would be a high priority. If they want to, go for it, but I have never seen a reason to push it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My husband feels very strongly about playing sports, because he did and he says it really taught him a lot about hard work, dedication, teamwork, and generally really good work ethic. So I'll of course take my cues from my kids as to what they want to do, and won't force them but I do think it's good for kids.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my girls play soccer and really enjoy it. we did try ballet and other activities before deciding that soccer was a good fit. mine needed something to keep thier energy focused. organized sports are not required to be well adjusted kids but mine trive on the activity. they have even talked about trying volleyball when they get older
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010