Unreasonable request?

So our friend and our family are going to take a small vacation this upcoming weekend, we've had this planned for about 3 weeks. Let me just break down the trip so far:
house rental deposit :$300-came out of our pocket
house rental fee:$240- we've already paid for it
boat rental deposit: $50o- came out of our pocket
rental fee for the boat: $ 395- I told her she can give us $275 toward it we will pay the rest.
Food:$230- we purchased all the food for the trip so far she has t bought or offered to buy anything
here's the dilemma, we are bringing 8 people she is bringing 4, now I think she feels like she's paying for too much but her portion is only $275 I think it's fair, we are putting alot for the trip with the deposits and the food. Hubby thinks she's crazy, what do you ladies think are we asking for too much from her? I feel bad for her because she said she's broke but I don't want to be the only ones paying either.

LuvmyFam6

Asked by LuvmyFam6 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I would add up the total costs (not the deposits, because you will be getting those back), and figure out the the person charge, use that to determine how much she should pay. Since you are bringing double the amount of people she is, it seems fair that she doesn't pay as much as you are.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• house rental deposit :$300-came out of our pocket

enough said she should be happy your only asking for $275.
    and she bring 4 people its extremely over reasonable
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 9:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If she doesn't have money to cover the people she is bringing, then she shouldn't bring others, or not go. You are being more than fair, she should at the very least cover her group's food.

Answer by Bmat at 9:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't think you are being unreasonable at all.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• tell her if she cant afford vacation then maybe she should stay home..there is a nice way to put this..i would just be honest..i mean everyone should pitch in and you are not the bank right?
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 9:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wonder what she will be thinking the whole time she's eating your food, riding on the boat you rented & sleeping in the house you paid for. Does she know that you are expecting the $275?
    Or does she think she was just invited to come along on your vacation, no payment expected.
    I have a friend who invites people to her lake house at various times, but she doesn't want money or anything, she just wants people to enjoy themselves....could your friend be thinking this is the case?
    Sandy1220

Answer by Sandy1220 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• So you guys are paying $1390 for the trip and she is paying $275? I'd agree with your hubby and say she's crazy if she feels that she is paying too much considering if you divided it equally, her portion would be $555. Have you let her know how much you guys paid? Maybe she doesn't realize it?
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 10:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah well it costs a lot to go on a vacation. Most people don't really get it. I have a family of five and we rented a beach house $6,000 per week then food $800 .. My husband invited his whole family and they ate a lot of food. Not asking what they could contribute.
    So yeah I get what your saying and you can not expect people to understand what it costs. If you invite them and you want them to pay half tell them up front. Other wise kiss it good bye.
    Trust me you are being more than reasonable. However they may not see it that way.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Unfair, BUT.... probably something that should have been worked out before anyone paid for anything. Not trying to bash, but why would you plan an expensive vacation with someone without sitting down and talking about it first? You may be able to get her to pay her share by talking about it, but ultimately I don't see how you can have your vacation free of some hard feelings on one side or the other. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• thank you for your comments ladies! When I initially looked into this trip I emailed her all the info, all the deposits and we agreed that $275 was fair for her, knowing she didn't have much to go around right now I agreed to buy a little more food than she did, I ended up buying all the meals for the weekend. I don't expect much in return but we talked about all the details, what gets me is that she is now going back and saying "well you know you're bringing more people than me", I just want it to be fair.
    LuvmyFam6

Comment by LuvmyFam6 (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010