Autism

Does anyone know if children with autism stay dependent on their caretakers for the rest of their lives or can they live independent lives?

Brickhouse95

Asked by Brickhouse95 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• depends on the severity
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:38 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Many live full independent lives, other may live in group homes. There are so many different variations on the Autism spectrum, but it's not a life sentence and fortunately it gets much more attention today than in the past.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 10:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on their level of functioning, which is autism varies widely. Some are able to live on their own, others in group homes, others in some type of institution, and others stay at home with their parents as long as their parents are able.

Answer by missanc at 10:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on the child. Out of my three on the spectrum, only one MAYBE will stay with me for the rest of my life. You just never know what the future holds.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It varies depending on where they fall on the spectrum. I know one who goes out and speaks at conventions all the time. There's one here in my town that works at WalMart and unless you ask him you would never know. Then there are a few that live in homes and institutions. I have three on the spectrum and I don't know where any of them will be in the future. My DD has promised to check in on them or allow them to stay with her if and when the time comes.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010