Has anyone who is Agnostic or similarly non religious ever sent their children to a church camp?

I feel bad my kids don't know anything but I can't tell them things I don't believe in myself. I have pondered sending them to a church camp just to get an idea of what others believe but think it might be confusing to them. I have also considered, and its probably a better fit, to attend some Unitarian Universalist services where you are educated in many religions and need not be Christian.

jamesonjustines

Asked by jamesonjustines at 10:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a unitarian universalist, and I think it might be a good place to start. I'm still pondering how I'll one day introduce God to my son. I don't want to "indoctrinate him", but I do what him to know about God. It's tough to decide how to go about it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My mom was non-religious and we went to a Christian based camp every other summer. But it was very casual. They had an outside morning service on Sunday (it was a week long, overnight camp).

And here i am today. Pagan as ever. :)

Loved camp though! great experience!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Why not check out your local UU church and see if they have any summer activities for kids? That would cover both.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I've been to church camp. Be aware that if you send them there, they are going to come home Christians.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I am Catholic and my kids go to the Baptist vacation bible school. Does that count? I visited various churches growing up and even had a atheist spell....but I came back to the Catholic church. My mother gave me that freedom, I will do the same for mine! :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I know our UU has their own equivalent of VBS. They also have multiple youth groups and a year round school program (homeschool co-op). Yours will probably have the same sort of resources so you can ease them into it however works best for them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Good idea! Thanks Anng!
    jamesonjustines

Comment by jamesonjustines (original poster) at 11:27 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• (i'm referring to sleepaway camp). Another option might be some local Bible study.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes. My DD went to a Christian pre-school. They went to chapel every morning, and my DD did NOT like it. But she loved her teacher and peers! It was a great school, I must say.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2010