MRSA healing time

Ok, so... lucky me, I have an active MRSA infection (BTW, it hurts like hell!). I have started abtibotics already (day 3) and had a shot today b/c it was looking worse. Does ANYONE know how long it may take for this stupid thing to heal up? Thanks!

beanielips

Asked by beanielips at 10:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Health

• Well..I guess that all depends. Please tell me your doc did a culture and sensitivity test to see which antibiotics the MRSA is sensitive to? It's quite tricky, especially if the doc doesn't prescribe the right antibiotics. Since MRSA is resistant to almost all antibiotics, it's important to do the C&S so you know you're taking an antibiotic that will clear the infection.

Once you are on the right antibiotic, it should take about a week or so. The pain will subside first. Then slowly the wound heals. They can come back often too...but I hope you're able to keep 'em at bay!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It could be a few more days, but it could also be longer than that. It just depends on if the antibiotic is going to work. I've seen people who have actually had to have the antibiotic pump via a-line to get rid of that, but I've also seen cases that have responded very well to oral antibiotics. I know that doesn't help you any, but just keep a close eye on it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• at least a month possiblely more. i have mrsa right now its dormet but its still in my body. i clean mine with hand santizer i really rub it in the area. it stings but cleans it. have the docs opened it yet? if so was it bloody black pus. which antibiotics are u on. keep a record of them because if u get another mrsa you'll wanna try those first and just know that sometimes the antibiotics wont work so they have to find something esle. good luck.
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I don't know if they did a sensitivity test, but I know they cultured it. When they called to give me the results they said that the antibotic was the right one so maybe they did? Anyways, that was the prompt care associated with the hospital. Today I went to my dr and he gave me a shot. I didn't know that the soers could come back. Oh joyous fun. At least it is summer break and I am not in the classroom right now. (Now to get better for Disneyland in 10 days?)
    beanielips

Comment by beanielips (original poster) at 3:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2010