How do you put your baby to sleep?

I've heard some parents let their babies cry to sleep... I've tried but it totally breaks my heart and I always end up giving in to her.
I've spoiled my DD in letting her feed to sleep and now that she's 7 months, I really want her to become less depenent on my breasts to fall asleep...

urban_baybee

Asked by urban_baybee at 10:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well have you tried a bottle. My daughter went to sleep with a nature sound clock.
    BrandiGunter

Answer by BrandiGunter at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i nurse them and usually they are sleeping but wake up when i go to put them in the crib. i put them in awake, turn on their music and then leave. they cry a little at first, but they will learn how to put themselves to sleep after only a couple of nights (if you don't give in lol). trust me, they won't be crying forever. be strong.... it's for their own good
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i breast fed all of my babies to sleep. i am on my fifth. my first weaned at 14 months, my second at 21 months, 3 and 4 were twins and i cut them off at 15 months. they all breast fed to sleep. i think it is sweet. they all go to bed just fine now. your baby is just a baby, and i don't see anything wrong with treating him like a baby : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• we have a fan and a lullaby music thing going and at 3 months we would give her a bath put her in pjs read a story and feed her then to bed she went! we let her cry for 3 min then go get her if needed! it took about a week and then she just started going right to bed! i know its hard but its worth it in the end! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have spoiled both of mine. It has always been nursing, rocking, or rubbing/patting their backs. They are only little once and I feel like who cares if I'm spoiling them at bedtime or if they are to dependent on me to go to sleep or I'm doing it wrong or messing them up. There is going to point (naturally) where theywon't need me anymore heck they won't want much to do with me unless they need a ride somewhere or money. I'm going to "baby" them why they will let me
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you admit to letting your child cry-it-out on cafemom, be prepared to be treated like a monster. I have done this when nothing else worked. I hate it, but I will do it again if I need to. I went through a time where I could not nurse him to sleep because he would wake up as soon as I layed him down. He would continue to wake up no matter how I got him to sleep until I finally let him CIO.

He went through a phase where I COULD nurse him to sleep. But now that he's crawling and sitting up, we're going through the same thing again. TOnight I gave in and gave him the paci. We'll see how that works. Good luck!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My DD is 12 months and I still nurse her to sleep every night, just like I did with both of my boys. I love nursing my babies (and toddlers) to sleep. I think it is great to have a "magic wand" I can wave at bed time. It is easy for me to get baby to sleep, and no tears for baby. I say if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If it is working for both of you, keep doing it! Your baby is only 7 months old, does she really need to learn to be independent? She also needs to learn to read...but not right now!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have always offered him a drink, as an infant it was a bottle and now its a cup of water or milk, brushed his teeth (or gums), read him a story on the couch and set him in his bed. He has never fought me to go to sleep unless he just wasnt ready to go and i was mixing his signals. Only a handfull of times have i rocked him to sleep, and those were when he wasnt at home. He likes to sleep in his own bed. And i have never let him CIO. I have never had to. He is 12 months 1 week :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You can't spoil a baby with love and affections.

What's wrong with what you are doing? Babies do not stay babies for long. You will miss these moments.

My baby and I go to bed and she nurses to sleep. I have no need to create elaborate routines or rituals. When she's tired she has her before bed nurse and goes to sleep. It's what nature intended and that's why you feel heartbroken when your baby cries for you. Nature desinged it that way on purpose.

Enjoy it while it lasts.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Letting babies/toddlers nurse to sleep is the way they are supposed to fall asleep. The lactation hormones flow from mother to baby through the milk and relax baby and put baby to sleep. You want babies and toddlers to be dependent. Part of the problem with our society is that we force independence from the time our babies are born and then we have problems with relationships the rest of our lives. Babies are supposed to be dependent. I can't stress that enough. It's crazy to worry that a 7 mo is too dependent on breasts to fall asleep.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2010