Baby Wise Schedule?

Anyone have their children on this schedule? how is it going or did go for you?

I know my sister in law did it and its worked great for her.

UAFwife

Asked by UAFwife at 11:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• FYI
    the AAP is anti-baby wise. they would literally ban the book, if that were legal. It has been linked to failure to thrive as well as other emotionally disturbing disorders.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:02 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You are going to get a lot of negative answers, but I did it with all 4 of my kids - they are healthy, smart, well adjusted kids. AND they were sleeping through the night (at least 8 hours) by 2 months.

Answer by missanc at 11:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• THats my concern is having them sleep through the night. My sister in law has had great eedback with her little one. I guess for me it meets you in the middle..
    UAFwife

Comment by UAFwife (original poster) at 11:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughter and son-in-law used it with their first son who is now 2 and it worked so well, they are planning on doing it again with baby # 2 who is due in August.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I read the book, and I don't think it could really be faulted for failure to thrive and stuff unless people follow it rigidly, which the book itself says NOT to do! It advocates being flexible and following your babies cues to a degree. HOWEVER, it can be confusing, because it ALSO severely criticizes other methods as if you'll ruin your kid if you DON'T follow babywise. I had really mixed feelings about the whole thing, and a lot of frustration with it. I had friends who followed it religiously and their baby's DID sleep through the night early. I followed a schedule of feedings but could never regulate naps, and never really found helpful answers from websites or other's who followed it. We've had too many interruptions in our lives to be consistant and my son still isn't sleeping through the night at nine months. Alternatively, I bet he's much more flexible than baby's on babywise, to be able to sleep in any (cont)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• .... to sleep under different circumstances. What bothers me about my friends is that they make babywise their Baby bible. I think there might be some good ideas in it to try, but it's VERY important to remember it's not written by professionals. Like my friend who was going to start her child on solids at 16 weeks because BABYWISE said to, but the recommendation now is 6 months.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• One more thing.... one thing that really bothered me about the book was that the overall focus seems to be making your child as independent as possible as early as possible. To me that's wrong. I'd like to sleep through the night, but at 3 months of age, that is the last thing that's important to my baby.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:18 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Please do your research, people who use it are putting their infants at risk. We protect them from so much, why take they chance?. Google baby wise and get your own answers. A 2 month old should not be sleeping through the night unless it is by their choice, babies need to come out of REM sleep it's what helps them regulate their breathing, and helps prevent the risk of SIDS.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:54 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Babies have such tiny bellies and older kids need reassurance. They are not wired to sleep all night and forcing them to adhere to you is not good. They are babies and don't have the ability to manipulate, they cry for a reason. If you didn't want to wake at night, you should have not had a child, because that is what they do.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I used it for both my kids and they were in the 75-90% for height and weight. I didn't follow it to a T but I used it for a GUIDE just like everything else should be used. I know several people who have used Babywise and they have healthy, happy THRIVING babies.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2010