Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

what would you do in my situation?

ok so my boyfriend and i have been living together for almost 3 years now, and although he works very hard we dont have a lot of money saved up....only like $500 (all bills are paid etc, this is savings only) and we are renting our place, but there was a crack in the bathtub and now water has been leaking underneath our mobile home and its been 3 months and its only getting worse, the floors are beginning to warp and get soft in the bathroom and in some other places and we are ready to move. as much as i would hate to move home with my mother, we may need to in order to save up for the deposit on a new place. my boyfriend would have to stay with his mom (5 minutes away) and my mom is very anal about noise and messes and i have 2 kids. do you have any suggestions as to what we could do instead of moving back home? or do you think that is the best option even though my mom wouldnt like it too much!


Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • we moved in with my parents but they are very supportive of it and are now sad we are moving out! i would say just keep saving what you can and only live there as long as u have too! we could of moved out months ago if we wanted we just chose not to! good luck just take it one day at a time!

    Answer by Caroline2010 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • why dont you and your husband switch off with the kids. days your mom isnt irritated they are with you and other days when she is they are with your husband :)

    Answer by elliebaby at 11:04 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • Will the owners do nothing about the situation? $500 might be enough to get you in on an apartment with a free first month's rent or no security deposit special. You may be even to rent a house cheap and with little deposit with so many houses on the market people can't sell.

    Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:05 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • Have you contacted your landlord? Take pictures of EVERYTHING, note when you called him, and what his response was. If he's not willing to fix it you may be able to break your lease.

    Answer by Aslen at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • I don't really know :( good luck thought

    Answer by Soniam301 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • The last time I rented I found a rental agency that allowed me to pay the deposit in payments. It never hurts to call around and ask if they will do that.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • moving back "home" is always a bad idea even if you have to. Honestly it might be what you need to do for the time being. But I would try talking to your landlord and if you have renter's insurance talk to them you might be able to work something out without having to move just yet or move back home. GL

    Answer by Kirs at 11:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • I was once told you can send your landlord a letter demanding the work be done in 30 days or you will rpair it yourself and deduct it from the rent check your landlord tenant rights in your area and see what they say. you can even possibley call leagal aid and get their advice. he has to keep the place safe and in good repair or ask around and see if you can fid another place whowill let you pay a ittle bit at a time on the deposit good luck

    Answer by dynameteduck at 11:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

  • why arent you working? if you are that hard up for cash, both of you should be working. even if it has to be part time when your bf gets home from work. it sounds like you do not want to move back home, so try to find a job to help out so you two can continue to live on your own. good luck though

    Answer by 3xangel at 1:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010