At what age can my daughter wear a tampon? She is 13 now.

Lor-e-lei

Asked by Lor-e-lei at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I started wearing them around 14-15 but she can start wearing them now.
    lovinthislife08

Answer by lovinthislife08 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• tampons can be worn at any age.
    The question is really do you feel that she is responsible enough to change them as directed to avoid TSS.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• As soon as she is comfortable trying it.

Answer by missanc at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• yes. i started when i was 13, and i was on vacation with friends...not my family.
    with a little help from mom, i think she will not have any problems. make sure you have a good idea of her flow and get the right size. good luck mama!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:22 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• medically, I've HEARD 15/16 but I honestly can't remember why. I think I was about that age when I started wearing them but that's something that the two of you need to discuss. You should discuss the pros/cons and dangers (such as TSS). You should decide together when it is appropriate and when the two of you would be comfortable.
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 11:25 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• she can start wearing them now but she needs to know about the danger of TTS before. i started wearing them when i was 14 but i didn't talk to my mom about it, i talk to my older sister which was wearing them.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter started wearing them as soon as her periods were regular and predictable. She's now 15 and started wearing them around age 13. As soon as I gave them to her, I made sure that she understood that she wasn't to wear them after her period stopped, no longer than a couple of hours between changes, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:06 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I started at 12 in 7th grade because we were required to swim for p.e. , just make sure you show her how and explain how often you should change them and when to use different flow types etc...shell be fine
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 8:58 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter is 11 and started her period when she was 10.It wasn't until this summer and time to go swimming that she asked about using tampons. I went through the instructions of how to use, the pro's, con's and precautions and after attempting to try them decided on her own that she just wasn't ready for them. I think this age will most likely vary from one young woman to another. either way I am very confident that when my daughter is ready to take that next step she will be ready for it.
    sprmomof3sprkds

Answer by sprmomof3sprkds at 1:53 AM on Jul. 9, 2010