Should I change my daughters name? Emerald Onalee Alice. My mother has been fighting with me constantly to change it because she doesn't like it.

vmoneyb7

Asked by vmoneyb7 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you like it, it doesnt matter what she thinks.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• no, you shouldn't change it just bc your mom hates it. she can think up a nick name to call her by if she doesn't like the name.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She is your daughter, not your mothers. If you like the name that is all that matters. I have had quite a few friends that do not tell the name of their babies until after they are born so no one can say that they don't like it.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• The way I see it is that you are the one giving birth to your daughter, not your mother. If you like the name, then don't change your mind because someone else doesn't like it. My husband says our daughter's name is an old lady name (Gianna) but I love it and kept it that way lol. Do what you want! (congrats on your baby girl btw!)
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'd say don't change it. If she can't respect your decision, she is just going to have to deal with it. It's a pretty name anyway and seems like a pointless reason to get upset over there are more worthy things to upset over besides a name.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Your the mom, its your right to name her. She had her turn. Ask her to respect that decision.
    Lor-e-lei

Answer by Lor-e-lei at 11:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you like it, that's all that matters. Maybe your mother can come up with a special nickname for her?

Answer by missanc at 11:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i say the same as the rest i was livivng with my mom-in-law while pg with my first and she had a fit my daughters name is lotuz and i love it to this day she still calls her the baby i dont see her much anymore so its ok to me but she is every bit of a lotuz and i would not like myself if i had changed it you have a beautiful name picked out so stand your ground you are a mom now
    shannonnlotuz

Answer by shannonnlotuz at 11:51 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• she wasn't there when the kid was conceived, she doesn't get a say. and frankly it is rude to say you don't like the name someone picked out for their child. can you imagine if one of your friends said that? you'd knock them out! (or cry, depending on how your moods were swingin!) i'm guessing the name you picked out has a cool story, and your dd will treasure that. screw anyone that disagrees. they didn't make the kid, they didn't carry her. she is YOURS, and yours to name.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 11:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• your mom didn't name you emerald- she needs to get over it. I love the name and obviously you do to. Let your mom call her emmy or something if that makes it easier on her. dont' change your kids name.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010