Should I change my daughters name? Emerald Onalee Alice. My mother has been fighting with me constantly to change it because she doesn't like it.

vmoneyb7

Asked by vmoneyb7 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Baby Names

• No, it is awesome. I love the name Emerald.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• heck no! it's your kid, you can name her whatever you want! tell mom if she doesn't like it, she can use a nickname.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Do what you want. She's your daughter, not your mother's.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Not if you love it and are happy with it. She can just get used to it, it's your baby.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Is this a child who is already born or a baby to be? If you like it I wouldn't change unless you had another name you liked as much. My mom hated my first borns name, Jameson. She said it sounded like a butler or like Ask Jeeves. She got over it and now we can't imagine him anything other than Jameson. Maybe Emerald will end up being called Em or Emmie and your mom would like it better, or it could be her pet name for her if she hates Emerald so much.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes, do what you want. Your mother has no right to tell you what to name your kids or what not to name them!
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 11:10 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She wants me to name her after my great grandmother. I loved my GG to death but she hated her name! I don't hate her name but its too old fashioned for me. Her name was Rosilynn Ellen Nora.
    vmoneyb7

Comment by vmoneyb7 (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My brother's middle name was after my grandfather's middle name and he said why the hell did you do that? I always hated my name and now you pass the damn thing on? LOL
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my moms side of the family hated my sons name Zade. said he would be made fun of. never have had that problem by the way. its up 2 u what 2 name ur child. not ur mother or the family.
    zadesmom1998

Answer by zadesmom1998 at 12:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No way. The name isn't that "out there" or anything anyway! If she doesn't like it then she can just call her Em, Emmi, Emma, or something. How old is your DD? I'm sure the name will grow on her. For the record though, I really like your GG's name!
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2010