Sponge Bob episode... Am I over reacting or would this send up a red flag to you too?

I told my mother in law about it and she had the same reaction I did but my husband and father in law didn't seem to "get it" the same way I did. If you watch him you probably know which episode I am talking about... Sponge Bob had some kind of funk that started out as just a little spot on him but eventually he spread it to the whole under water creatures and this snail was the only thing that could "cure" it. The snail ate the green gook off of him and they seen how they could make money off of it so they set up a booth type thing there to get it off of people. Above the booth there was a sign that read "de-ick" Now my question is, how would my 3 year old take that? Not "de-ick" but dick... Is this too over the top for you too or am I taking it the wrong way?

nakoal87

Asked by nakoal87 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know about that specific episode, but I don't let my son watch that show, there are a ton of lude underlying adult meanings to things. I mean come on, spongebob and a crab live in the most fabulous place on earth- bikini bottom cove......... hmmm. If you actually watch the show there are a lot of adult innuendos that are just not appropriate for children. jmo.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 11:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• you're thinking wayyyyy too into it. i love that episode and have quite a dirty mind and never came up with dick from that. and the stuff is called ick so it makes sense that gary was "de-ick"ing them. lol sorry, i side with pop and grandpop on this
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You ARE taking it the wrong way. I see that as getting rid of "ICK". Nothing more.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You know that ICK is a real condition, right? Fish die from it. You are WAYYYY overthinking it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Wow...I didn't turn vulgar or crazy from watching The Flintstones with thier "adult" humor or any other show. Geeze, 3 year olds haven't even the ability or know how to read all that into SpongeBob. Even if they say shut up on there...shouldn't you just teach you kid not to say it? My mom cussed in front of my son since birth. He is 14y/o and still doesn't cuss. I mean really, it is just a cartoon. And you all are banning it like it is Hardcore Porn.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:45 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

Crazy how some get over a cartoon. I was raised on Bewitched, Flintstones, Road Runner, Bugs Bunny and many other shows all were considered bad by some and looking back I see the adult humor in all but went over my head when I was a kid.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• We've seen that one dozens of times, and my perfectly literate 7 year old has picked up nothing obscene from it. He doesn't even know what the word dick is, let alone that it refers to a body part. Most of the time that one is on he's too busy going EWWWWWW at everyone getting cleaned off by the snail. You are absolutely over-thinking it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've seen the episode in question it's called Fungus Among Us. The funk as the OP called it is called "ick" in the show. Gary (Spongebob's Snail) does "de-ick" everyone at the end of the show for $5 each and the money does go to Mr. Krab's. After all we know that Mr. Krab's loves to make the money. I've tried to pull up video of the show, but I've not been successful. I've found sites via google that say they have the video, but it's either a download or I can't get it to play properly so I'm not even going to bother to link it. If you want the show just google spongebob fungus among us. Perhaps you'll have better luck.
    *********
    Personally, I think you're over reacting!!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• IMHO I think you're over reacting.

Young kids mess up words all the time. If your child can't pronounce it right do you not allow them to play with trucks or ducks? those are 2 very common mispronounced words for kids.

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't of even caught the dick part but now that you mention it I see what you mean. I think they meant literally to de ick the gook off. I'd let it go. I think the three year old probably doesn't know the term dick anyway.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010