How can I get my toddler to sleep thru the night?

My little girl wakes up seriously EVERY night and comes into bed with me and her daddy and yes, I love waking up to her smiling face but sometimes, in the middle of the night or even in the morning, I wish DH and I could *wake eachother up* *wink wink*.
And she rarely goes to bed without her back being rubbed or being cuddled with.
I know this is partly my fault but I don't believe in putting a kid in their room, shutting the door and letting them cry it out and she's never been they kid who goes to her room and passes out.
I think it's awful and please, if you're going to tell me to suck it up and do it, don't bother to reply. I tried it a few times and my daughter isn't one of those ones who will cry for 20 minutes and pass out. When we did try, she didn't stop and it broke my heart to do it. I won't do it again. I was thinking about trying that "sleep lady" thing I saw on tv. Anyone heard of it or tried it?

MayMommaToBe

Asked by MayMommaToBe at 11:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 1/2 year old still wakes up as well. He wakes up for no reason. We would bring him to our bed so we didn't have to get out of bed when he woke up or he would climb into our bed when we were sleeping and we would have no idea that he was there. I have knocked him out of bed a couple of times when I roll over. This week we told him it was enough, he had to stay in his bed all night long. So every time he wakes up we take him back to his bed. We are more tired but it is getting better. Last night he only woke up once and then stayed asleep in his own bed until 9 this morning. When he does wake up either dh or I have to sit on his bed until he is pretty much asleep but it seems to be working. Good Luck!
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• please let know if you find a "cure" I have a soon to be 3 yr old he wakes up constantly not to get into bed with me he says he "NEEDS" me and I go to his bed and have to sit and wait for him to go back to sleep. I almost wish he'd climb into my bed so I could go right back to sleep. I wish I had an answer for you
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son didn't sleep all through the night EVERY night until he as about 3 years old. ...so ...i don't really know what to tell ya.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You don't mention how old she is - is she old enough that a "sticker chart" might be enough incentive to keep her in bed (each night she wakes up in her bed she gets a sticker, after 3-5 she gets a special treat or toy?)
    Never heard of the sleep lady, so can't help you there.

Answer by missanc at 11:29 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You have to wear them out and NO naps! That will at least get them to bed. They should be sleeping through the night unless they need to use the bathroom. If that is the case, then cut off fluids at least one hour to bed. I don't know what else to suggest. Good luck!
    2Toddlers2Teens

Answer by 2Toddlers2Teens at 11:59 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This isn't your fault. This is NORMAL behavior. Sleeping patterns don't really settle until age 3 or 4. You are really going to miss it one morning when you realize she doesn't need you anymore. Take advantage of the time she is not in the room and have wink wink time then.

Do what you think will work for you, but please stop blaming yourself for normal toddler behavior. It isn't going to last.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:46 PM on Jul. 8, 2010