Thinking about getting a dog?

I am in the beginning stages of thinking about getting a dog. Prefer small dog, not a barker. Any recommendations?

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Pets

• I have a Scottish Terrier. Amazing little guy!!!! Very quiet. Very well behaved. Crazy smart. But, a little clumsy. On top of all of that.....they don't really shed!!!! You have to keep up with the coat and all, but, just by a pair of clippers and you're good to go!
    josie_mommyof2

Answer by josie_mommyof2 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I am the salon manager of a pet salon and have been in the indsutry for 11 years. Helping people pick the right dog for their family and lifestyle is my favorite thing to do. I have a couple of questions what is your ideal weight and size range? Are you looking for something that is low maintenance or are you okay with brushing? Are you okay with the finances that go along with specific breeds grooming costs etc.? Energetic or not so much?
    CLewis1226

Answer by CLewis1226 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I find that most small dogs tend to be a bit yappy. They have to make up in barking what they lack in size, lol. We have an English Bulldog that is a great pet! Sweet, calm, good with my small children and cats...etc., but they do be high maintenance as far as their health goes. We also have a Basset Hound that is really sweet, and she rarely barks. Each dog is going to have a different personality regardless of their breed. with proper care and training, any dog can be a good pet.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 11:39 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have a tiny Miniature Pinscher. It only barks at my dad or when she hears his truck. She hates him. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:41 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I recommend doing some research on MOST breeds of dogs so that you know which ones WONT work for you and then going from there.. Checking out your local shelter is ALWAYS a good idea bc you can save a dog's life there and spend some time w/the animal before you make any big decisions..

I have a mini doxie who is very strong willed but SO loveable and a heeler/whippet mix who is VERY bright, VERY energetic but SUCH a cuddle-bug! Love them BOTH!
    ElijahsMom211

Answer by ElijahsMom211 at 4:06 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• we have been looking into getting a dog too. we have been checking on websites like petfinder which will help you narrow down what you are looking for. small - extra large , children , other pets, ect.
    chris13

Answer by chris13 at 1:11 AM on Jul. 11, 2010

• i preper cats because they are very quietter
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 7:30 AM on Jul. 18, 2010