Did you have a blood test?

Just wondering if anybody had a blood test to find out that they were pg? I didn't know how common it was to have a home test not show a positive. Had you tried a home test? Did it not work?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 2:52 PM on Jun. 28, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I had a positive HPT and then I went to the doc. I thought I was further along than I was so I went in after a week. When they did the U/S on my first visit it looked like an unviable pregnancy...meaning an embryonic sac with nothing in it. I had to have 2 blood tests done to make sure I was actually pregnant. The first one showed up with very little HcG in my system. 48 hours later the number doubled verifying my pregnancy. It was later confirmed the next week with another U/S. I have heard you are more likely to get a false negative than a false positive though. Generally if you get a negative reading and you still don't get your period after a week you should retest.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 4:32 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I had no idea that the over the counter tests were inaccurate. I know that in surgery a woman of child bearing age must undergo a pregnancy test to make sure that they are not pregnant. A urine pregnancy test is sufficient in this situation and the physicians don't have any more sophisticated urine pregnancy tests than what we buy over the counter.

I have always thought that the blood tests were used to confirm a pregnancy after a positive urine test and subsequent testing was to confirm the viability of the pregnancy. Ex. HCG levels doubling every 48 to 72 hours.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 3:00 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I used a home test and the Dr. still did a blood test.
    Pregnancy test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    A systematic review published in 1998 showed that home pregnancy test kits, when used by experienced technicians, are almost as accurate as professional ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_test -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:06 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• HcG will show in your blood before it shows in urine. But blood tests are the norm here to confirm pregnancy.
    Anonymous

• More accurate than a pee test.
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 11:37 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• i took an ept once and there was a faint pink line and i couldn't tell if or not it was positive so i called ept and they said a line is a line. i thought i was pregnant. i was thrilled. then i went to the doctor and he did a blood test and i wasn't. sometimes protein can turn those lines colors.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:29 AM on Jun. 29, 2008