what do you do about ants?

i am struggling to keep the ants out this year without calling a pest control person, but they seem to find new and creative ways in each week. i am already sweeping my floors 2 or 3 times a day, and i have a bug spray that i put down every few days, but they have been popping up in my back room (which is used for storage and clothes), then my kitchen, now my living room. each time i will find them and spray and they will go away and find another way in. what can i do to keep them from getting into the bedrooms and such?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 11:48 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I put the ant traps down under and behind things so the dogs can't get to them. It takes a week or two for them to take the poison back to the queen and kill her but once they do, they're gone. I also spray Lysol on the counters and floors. It kills them instantly and keeps them away for a couple of days until it wears off or is cleaned off.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If you can determine where they are entering place a thin line of flour down. The story is that they will not cross it! Works for me. also if they are bigger ants, cuccumber peelings thrown outside around doorways keep them away.
    sprmomof3sprkds

Answer by sprmomof3sprkds at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Believe it or not I've used cinnamon. They were coming through the cracks around my doors. Also they can't stand the smell of garlic. So, I've used garlic salt also. Both are a pretty good idea-especially if you have little kids or pets around the house.
    feb28

Answer by feb28 at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Baby powder, believe it or not...pretty effective and totally safe for kids and pets :)
    feloniousbelle

Answer by feloniousbelle at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can spry the out side of your home. Which sounds crazy but apparently if you deal with the entry ways they won't come in. THe baby powder idea sounds really interesting. I kill the ants who have made their way in with windex kills them and erases their scent that they leave on the floor to have others follow them in to the food source.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010