So my mom is 40 years old and today she went to her OB for a breast exam...they found a few lumps in her breasts...

Be honest, what are the chances that it's not cancer? What else could it be?

She has to go for an MRI on Tuesday.

Breast cancer does run in our family.

collegexmamix28

Asked by collegexmamix28 at 11:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Health

• It is a good chance it simply a cyst. I had a huge lump in my breast that I was terrified and it turned out to be a hematoma. Support her best you can, she is probably scared.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 11:52 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have had some bumps too, I am 39 and they were beign cysts. Can be caused by too much caffinee, unbalanced diet, etc. I know you are scared but there are others things it could be, so please try not to worry, until you hear more! I wish you all well, and will keep you in my prayers!
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 11:53 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When I was 40 my Dr found a lump in my breast and sent me for an ultrasound. It was just a fibroid.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Lots of women have what they call, "fibrocystic changes" in their breasts. I, too, had several in my 30's. I actually had an ultrasound of that area, as well as x-rays. It was all normal. Don't panic. Just be sure she gets her MRI soon. If, and I pray that it is not cancerous, it's best to catch it early!

You're all in my prayers!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• been there done that as has my sister ,mother and quite a few friends.With the wonderful technology today they feel and see everything.Wait till all the info is in,my mom 20 yrs ago had all sorts of positive signs for it being cancer but the biopsy was negative.She is fine.So really till it is all in try not to worry.Take care and the best for your mom.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My DH's grandmother is 83 and had breast cancer, one quick surgery, a little radiation and she is in remission and has been for almost a year now. If it is caught early, it's not as big a deal as when you let it go.
    I can't answer as to the likelihood it's one thing or the other, but I will say a quick prayer for you.
    MumsTheWord571

Answer by MumsTheWord571 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Cysts are much more common than tumors, so the odds are in her favor.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 12:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My mother is almost 50 & the same thing happened to her. Needless to say, I was VERY concerned but it wasn't cancer. It turned out to be something else but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was! I know it's a terrible scare & I hope everything works out for the best. Just prepare for the worst & hope for the best :-)
    CrystalJanie

Answer by CrystalJanie at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010