when do babies start sleep through the night

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 PM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 7 months when he finally slept through the night. My daughter was only 4 months.
    feb28

Answer by feb28 at 12:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My first started around two years old. I wish I was kidding. My second though about six weeks. I don't even remember my third when it happened.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When they are physically ready to sleep that long and not wake to feed. May be immediately or may be 3 years old. Every kid is different. My son was 3 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Honestly? When they feel like it. EVERY single baby is different. My first was 6 weeks, my second was 12 weeks, my third was 17 months.

It's a milestone they meet in their own time, there is no age-set deadline.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't remember exactly with all of them - my last one didn't until he was 2-2.5. The other 3 took a while, around a year, give or take a couple months. My parents like to brag that I slept through the night my 3rd day home from the hospital, and regularly after that. Wish my kids would have been like me. I still don't sleep all night even though, for the most part, they finally do.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterens don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Nathan is almost 1 he still gets up once a night, my 9 year old, he was a different story after we transitioned him to his own bed at the age of 5 it took him another 6 months to adjust and realize he was on his own so for us that was the longest 5 1/2 years of not sleeping and feeling like alarm clocks!

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• They sleep through the night? Omg! Just kidding my 3rd didn't start til he was almost 3 and well my 8 month old still doesn't. I'm ready for a goodnights sleep :) its been over 6 yrs!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Around 3 years.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Not really until like 15 or 16 months but then she started sleeping 12 hours straight! At 12 months she was definitely still waking up 2 sometimes three times a night :(
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010