What is something a person has said to your kid that just made you want to hit them?

A family member was having chest pains and was taken to the hospital by paramedics. A "family friend" told my daughter who took daily meds for her heart that heart problems are very dangerous and everyone who has them eventually dies from them. Keep in mind he told this directly to a 4 year old when she asked me if the other family member would be okay.
I told her he would be fine and sent her to the bedroom. Once she was gone, I punched the guy and called him a f*****g idiot. How stupid can one .an be? Took me forever to convince her she wouldn't die.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 12:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I said something dumb the other night without thinking. We were driving some where and I said to my husband "I have to clean tomorrow. Our house is just falling apart."
    My four year old heard me and started crying, when I asked him what was wrong he said "I don't want our house to fall apart. What about my bed and toys!"
    Poor baby, no matter what I said, he was convinced our house was going to fall down D:

Sometimes people are stupid and don't think before they speak. Sorry about your little one hearing that! I love that you punched the dude in the belly :D Too funny!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Adults have imitated their speech issues right to their face, like their lisps for example, making fun of them. They know better and my daughter is especially shy and doesn't talk a lot to people she doesn't know already so of course that crushes her and makes it worse.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A stranger told my DS there wasn't a God. Ok, whether you believe or not is your business, but DO NOT tell my child there is no God!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Could your children BE any louder?

but yours is worse..
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son had cancer and I went to get him some balloons and get some fresh air with my then five year old we told an acquaintance and this old lady said if he dies you can have more children. My son was like he's is going to die. I remembered looking at the woman and saying not before she does.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Both my girls are severely deaf in their left ear. It's more noticeable in my 3 year old though since my 1.5 year old doesn't speak much. My 3 yo doesn't wear her hearing aid that often so when you speak to her if you don't speak loudly she doesn't hear you, obviously. So a lot of times when you say something to her and she doesn't hear she'll say "huh?" And ALL the time people who know she has a hearing problem respond back to her with "HUH?" It pisses me off beyond belief. I actually yelled at my mom the other day "Why do you do that to her? Do you limp when you see crippled people?!" May be a little extreme but it's so rude for adults to make fun of children.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 12:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Ohhhh, let's see. My FIL told my one and a half year old to "cut the umbilical cord" because she followed me to the door. I can see someone saying that as a joke, but he is the same man who tried to convince me that my daughter was being manipulative by crying... at six months old. Idiot.

Also, my older neighbor once told her to "quit hitting mommy" (she was on my lap and sort of let her head fall back on my chest), because if she hit me there I would GET CANCER AND DIE! I was like "WHAT did you just say?!" His wife was sooo embarrassed that he said that. My daughter was almost three then and she knows what everything means (at least enough to scare her, even if she doesn't fully understand it).

People are so weird. PS- I would have decked that idiot, too!
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 12:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My daughter has Asperger's and talks a lot. She also has a tracheostomy that has a cuff, which if inflated too much prevents her from speaking. Her (former) ENT doctor used to "joke" that we should keep the cuff fully inflated so she couldn't talk so much.  Notice he is no longer her doctor!

CCHSMOM

Answer by CCHSMOM at 12:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My son is an only child. The comments people make are very mean and downright rude. Especially from family.
    People ask him all the time, "Are you lonely?, I bet you are spoiled, Mommy/daddy should give you a sibling, and the worse comment is, "If your parents die, you will be all alone in this world.

He is 4 years old!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Damn, I'm sorry for that Renea. i don't believe but I would never tell that to someone's kid.
    So sad they make fun of their speech. 6 year olds are too old for that much less adults.
    Kiwismommy19

Comment by Kiwismommy19 (original poster) at 12:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010