SpongeBob

I just saw on another post that people think that Sponge Bob is inappropriate. How exactly is that? I've only ever seen 2 episodes and I didn't see anything questionable in them.

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 12:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't get it either and we watch every day. But I let her watch a lot of stuff others find questionable.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't find Spongebob inappropriate but some of the humor is a little layered where kids don't realize stuff is funny that adults will.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 12:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I love the sponge I watch it with my kids. I think the simpsons and family guy is bad for kids. I don't let my kids watch them..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 12:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Some people are haters on everything! Really I am sure there is some things said in everybody's own home, that are far worse then spongebob! or Barney or Thomas the tank! Enough already!
    But I did happen to get a book thrown out of my son's 8 th grade school, because I read it and it talked about sex, a minor spanish girl with a 30+ man,who hit her then gave her money gifts, to forgive him, also he wanted to film her, but she only allowed pic;s.I was discusted and took it to the prinpal, whom I read the pages too, yep next day it was pulled! So sometimes it is good to pay close attention.
    MikkiB

Answer by MikkiB at 12:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know about inappropriate, but I do find it mind-numbingly stupid so that's why we won't watch it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The humor is over their heads and if they are old enough to "get" it, they won't watch it because it's geared towards kids. Yes, it isn't a "learning" program, but, hell...don't kids need some completely non-learning silly entertainment too? I see no issue with anything except porn for kids to watch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Really, Spongebob is a modern day Rocky and Bullwinkle in my opinion! Its targets, just like Rocky and Bullwinkle, is towards children and adults. The zany characters and absurd plots draw in children, while the clever usage of puns and topical references appeal to the adult demographic.
    ********************
    Clearly some have issue with the puns and topical references that appeal to the adults. It's those puns and references that make some people feel that it's inappropriate for children to begin with.  Personally, I enjoy watching it and so do the kids. I know Rocky and Bullwinkle aired in the 60's, but in the 80's we would watch re-runs of the show with my folks. Clearly they got something more out of it as we did....I've watched as a adult and have thought oh my..... Spongebob is MILD compare to that!

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I love Spongebob Squarepants! Even my 14 &13 year old watchs it sometimes.
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 1:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010