Where do I start? I really wanna lose weight

I know the big picture diet and exercise, but to tell the truth when it comes down to it I am lazy and if it cause too much work to my already busy schedule it is likely to be put off. I drink to much soda but when I go cold turkey I relapse. And I like food that taste GOOD, but is easy to prepare. So I wanna go into a healthy life style on step at a time not a crushing wave that I'd be more likely to break away from. I know I need will power and I want to work into not wanting the bad stuff not just quiting and returning. So I am going to try to tackle one task at a time until each is beat. So where should I start, mind you I haven't built the will power yet.
P.S I am not morbidly obese but am over weight and would like to lose about 40 lbs to start. Also healthy alternative recipes are welcome!

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 12:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I am in the same boat as you, tried dieting for 30 days, I "relapsed" last week and I didn't lose any weight, I was disappointed! I am back at it again, I know I also need to take baby steps I would like to lose about 40 LBS as well. I have been down this road, a low cal/low fat diet worked for me so I try to discipline myself to log all my food www.caloriecount.com; it tells me if I am eating enough carbs, protein, fats and all that good stuff. But the other moms are right, even I have to realize that weight loss for some of us needs to take place in baby steps. Good luck momma, you can do it, all you need really is the desire and the commitment to yourself!

LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 12:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree completely--BABY STEPS!! You didn't gain it overnight and you won't lose it overnight. Be patient. I once heard someone say "you are the sum total of all your choices up to this point." Know that every good choice you make, no matter how small, IS making a positive change in you!!
    chucks_mama

Answer by chucks_mama at 12:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Baby steps -- that's good. Well, if you're drinking regular full calorie soda, can you switch to diet soda? You'd still have your caffeine, but you'd drop your calories completely.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Start out with little things. Us no cal sugar instead of regular, lite salt, whole grain noodles, bread, anything you can find in whole grain, drink plenty of water, cut down to 2 sodas a day, use a smaller plate so you eat smaller portions.

For exercise: park your car further from the door when at a store and walk. Use stairs for at least one flight. If you're short on time, take the elevator the rest of the way. When sitting for any length of time, move your legs. Jiggle them, lift them, whatever. If there's a show you really wanna watch on tv, lift weights while it's on.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Some things I have done that have helped is pre-cook boneless chicken breasts (cook with cooking spray and Mrs Dash seasoning it's salt free. And I buy the bags of steam veggies. I actually like them. And instead of pop try the crystal lite packets that you mix with water. I love those too! And to exercise....DANCE!! Everyday I'll crack a CD and dance around my house to the whole thing. I try to tighten my stomach muscles while dancing and throw in some lunges and what not. But keep it fun so you stay motivated. Thank God my kids are too young for me to feel like a complete idiot for doing this in front of them! LOL Good luck it is tough to lose weight.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Get your ass off the computer and away from the tv! lol

Sweetie I am in the same boat I love to have junk food. Best advice is eat more fruits and veggies and whole grain and cut back on sodas and junk. Go outside and enjoy walking, play your favorite music and dance while cleaning, instead of using a mop, get on your hands and knees and scrub, while watching tv do some jumping jacks,/lift dumbells/ squats etc.. and remember nothing happens over night! good luck!

navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 12:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Try keeping your house warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter... over cooling/heating messes with your bodies rhythms and makes you eat more.

stick to food with simple ingredients, things you can pronounce.

I thought I'd throw out some things that people don't normally discuss.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The diet soda sugar substitute gives me migraines but I have cut back to 1 a day most days
    amommy2a2yrold

Comment by amommy2a2yrold (original poster) at 12:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• *crank a cd...not crack.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 12:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The number one thing that has worked for me is to not approach it as a diet or weight loss plan, instead i made a life style change. I changed our foods cut out processed foods I only shop the U around the store ( my kids actually know what the U is now lol) except for household items and rice, olive oil etc. We buy produce at farmers market every friday. we joined a gym and made it a family activity we as a family use the pool, the kids take classes, my daughter goes to the day care with friends from school for playdates and the moms of her friends and i go take a zumba class while the kids play.

Also keep a food diary it does work, eat 2-3 snacks such as berries, nuts, a yogurt. I have foudn that if i eat every 2 hours my body works better I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, early dinner, then a snack around 7-8 pm. If your working out dont forget that your body needs protein to get hte full benefit of the workout.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2010