Difficulty brushing 1 yr. old's teeth!

I've tried just about everything I can think of. By the time the toothbrush reaches her mouth, she clenches on and starts to suck the toothpaste off. She's starting to develop cavities I'm sure. I've tried making her laugh, letting her watch DS and I brush our teeth, etc. I just don't know. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about the tooth paste they have for babys have you tried just with your fingers. My son let me do that for a year cuz I couldn't get a tooth brush in his mouth either
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Get the end of another tooth brush and have him bite it while u attampt to brush his teeth. Also, when u have another adult around straddle him and hold him while other person brushes. This will make him cry ( which unfortunately is the only way u can get to hs teeth). I lie my son on the couch and hold his arms w one hand and brush his teeth w the other. I have to brush his teeth 3 x's a day due to his medical condition
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• get the thing you stick on your finger with the bristles, and play a game with it. "I'm gonna get your teeth"
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would use a washcloth with water on it and get her used to that first...use it to wipe down her teeth and gums. Once she allows that with no difficulty, add a little child-safe toothpaste, and increase the amount bit by bit, and getting her so spit it out...then once she is ok with that, put toothpaste on the toothbrush.

You might also try the toothbrush with just plain water. Let her totally get used to the toothbrush, learn to handle it and once the novelty wears off, you can add toothpaste.

I sure wish I had known with my first one to start wiping out their mouth after feeding right from the start to get them used to the concept...I went through a period where she would literally SCREAM and FIGHT me...it was very hard to maintain my cool, saying "you have to brush your teeth, it would be easier if you cooperated..." in a calm voice...
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 12:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Our dentist taught us the "toddler hold" for our 2yo. Kid on your lap, your legs crossed over theirs, one kid arm wrapped behind you, the other held in your lap with the hand of the arm kid is resting on. you should have 1 free arm to use brush, cloth, finger, whatever you can quickly, gently get in there to wipe the teeth. We have graduated, but there was a bit of struggle for a while.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 12:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Have you let your little one hold the toothbrush? I found when mine were that young that I had to do it while they were laying on the changing table. I would give them something to hold to distract their attention a bit so I could get a few scrubs in. The toothpaste isn't too important. Just briefly brush with water after to paste is gone. Our oldest just turned 2 and he is obsessed with brushing now. He saw our electric brushes and wanted the same so we got him Tigger. It just takes time and repetition.

I do like the previous suggestion of 2 brushes. I may try that on my 14 mo old twins! LOL
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You should try finding a clip on youtube of her favorite cartoon brushing. my son is 20 months and he loves elmo and we watched a clip of elmo brushing and ever since then he allows me to brush them!
    JulesMommy1008

Answer by JulesMommy1008 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• There are so many good things to try that have been mentioned. Maybe try combining them. Letting your daughter hold her own toothbrush w/ toothpaste on it (yes, even at this young age) for the first minute while you brush your teeth then 'help' her by then brushing her teeth yourself could work. Also, when my daughter was giving me issues about brushing, we got her one of those tiny kids' spin brushes. Definately helped us! Good luck!
    MayMommaToBe

Answer by MayMommaToBe at 5:30 PM on Jul. 8, 2010