I AM 40 WEEKS AND 4 DAYS OVER DUE THEY SAY I HAVE AN INCOMPETENT

CERVIX AND I AM LIL OVER 1 CM AND 80 PERCENT EFFACED AND - 2 STATION AND HAVE APPT FRIDAY TO DISCUSS INDUCTION WHAT IS INCOMPETENT CERVIX EXACTINGLY ANYONE EVER BEEN TOLD THEY HAVE ONE OF THESE DURING PREGNANCY OR WHAT PLEASE HELP CONFUSED AND READY TO HAVE THIS BABY

Grimes1stbaby

Asked by Grimes1stbaby at 12:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• That's a little confusing because incompetent cervix is usually a diagnosis you receive when you are not full term or close to full term.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/incompetentcervix.html

FYI: You are not "overdue", you are 4 days over the estimated due date. You could potentially have 10 more days, then be considered over due.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• By the way, it means weakened cervix that cannot bare the weight of the baby and it's an issues because of miscarriage or premature birth, but you are already full term.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When I just googled it, it was talking about a cervix that is opening up too EARLY not on time like you sound like you are....so I would be confused too!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's when your cervix doesnt know what to do in labor. But seriously that doesn't sound like an incompetent cervix. Try climbing stairs, exercise always got my contractions going.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 12:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'd say get busy with your hubs, hot showers, combined with the things the previous poster suggested! Get that baby out on your own!
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 12:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Um....if you had an incompetent cervix, you most likely would have had a cerclage put in between weeks 14-16...so this wouldn't be a new diagnosis. An incompetent cervix basically means that it cannot withstand the pressure of the growing uterus and baby, and usually causes PREterm labor, or miscarriages. You're a few days passed your ESTIMATED due date, and seem to be right on track for labor...so if I were you, i'd call your doc and double check what exactly he means about your cervix. It's important to know this stuff...especially with such an awkward diagnosis when you're term.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If it's incompetent then you shouldn't need the induction.

What are "they" telling you? Can you share more with us?
    I think you might want to ask more about this... It certainly wouldn't make sense for you to need to be induced when you're within the normal range for delivering, especially if your cervix wishes to let the baby out.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• That doesn't sound right you need to ask more questions and get another opinion
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The incompetent cervix part is a little confusing. Sometimes a cervix is at risk for being incompetent after having the LEEP procedure or your cervix frozen; that can also cause your cervix to not open as it should once baby is full term. I've heard of women not dilating as they should and a recent study has shown that there is a massage that can be done on the cervix itself to help with this issue. Not sure if that's the issue you're having, but if so, you may want to ask your ob about it.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 4:33 AM on Jul. 8, 2010