I still don't get the points system, When you reach a certain number of credits earned you get invited into a group based on points? Just makes me wonder how many levels can there possibly be if you keep answering all these questions? I thought this site was just moms chatting, but it's getting too competitive. I thought is was a relaxing atmosphere until the points came along.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in About CafeMom

• The more points meant more privileges, loss of points means loss of privileges. It became a competition to gain points(voting up and bums in the "Crazy for Credits and other "games sections") and a means of people expressing their disagreements(voting down). It was all an attempt to weed out the anon troublemakers that would answer anonymously but it didn't do it's job as those troublemakers can just go to the point whoring section to level up in order to gain the anon status. Oddly enough people have a bigger issue with the ability to vote down others answers and losing points than they do the point whoring in order to gain the option to post anon which was the problem to begin with.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You don't have to do it...
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I ignore the points. i like feeling like a know-it-all answering strangers questions. It's almost connecting with other adults.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 12:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• you can go to the group with out hitting "rush week". It's Phi Beta Mama
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The points system was supposed to be a way of cafemom allowing this section to become more self moderated in allowing users to vote up answers they agreed with/ gave good information/ were helpful and to vote down ones that were rude or unhelpful(though the down vote guidelines were never explained).

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It still is that. The points are for others who needed more...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yea, the point system doesn't bother me much, honestly I don't even hardly notice it...just looks like a new set up. It really hasn't done anything to "make" or "break" my answers....no beef with it here :)
    MamaCharity

Answer by MamaCharity at 1:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• ? ? ? I don't even know how I end up on this points stuff anyway ;)
    chucks_mama

Answer by chucks_mama at 1:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I didnt know you had to have a certain number of points to be invited to a group lol, interesting.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• As for being invited to a group based on Points, simply an extension of the juvenile point begging section
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010