How do you teach a toddler to use a fork and spoon?

My son will be 15 months on Friday and I have no clue how to teach him how to use utensils. Help!

ATG499

Asked by ATG499 at 1:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Let him see you use it. Put it in his hand and hold his hand while using the spoon to spoon up food and bring to his mouth or fork up food to bring up to his mouth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• well, you just give them one. You'll be surprised what he already knows how to do from watching you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I always put some food on the spoon or fork and then let them figure out how to get it from there and then into their little mouth!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Let him have a fork and a spoon at every meal. He will get used to holding and using. I am always giving something that helps with practice, like a few bites of oatmeal or mashed potatoes in a little plastic cup. Just direct and they will get it. Be prepared for loads of messes, but that is how they learn! :)

Has he never tried to grab the spoon from you? Mine are/were early with their independent mean streak of I can do it myself! LOL
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You have to guide them, give them to him at every meal and teach him how to use it. Like if he is using a spoon put his hands on it take it his food and then back up to his mouth, let him try it and make a big deal out it when he does it on his own. My daughter is 19 months and she knows how to use them, but yet she rather still eat with her hands lol.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 11:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• once he gets used to holding the spoon or fork at feeding then you can try putting peanutbutter or cream cheese on the end of it and then show him how to pick the food up w/ it. the cream cheese and peanut butter just help it it stick better to the spoon and fork, an not as much food will be all over the place. and it can be less fustrating for them
    ReeMarie77

Answer by ReeMarie77 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thank you so much for your replies, ladies! As I was feeding him dinner tonight, he reached for the spoon and in automatic reaction I pulled it away. After I realized what I'd done (and saw that he was really upset over it), I put the spoon in his hand and guided him to pick up the food and put it in his mouth. In the past when I tried he'd normally let go of the spoon or refuse to put his hand to his mouth
    but this time he did it! We actually did this a few times before he got grumpy, lol.

Now my only question is, what happens if they're picky about getting messy? My little man HATES getting messy. On his birthday, I had to put the mess on him. He refused to even touch the cupcake until I smashed it onto his cheek, then he barely picked at it.
    ATG499

Comment by ATG499 (original poster) at 4:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2010