What Do You Do At A Baby Shower?

My mom is throwing me a baby shower and she keeps asking me what I want to do. I have been to one baby shower and I was too young to care what we did. My shower guests are going to be mainly older family members (female only) and I don't know what to do with them. I need some games I can play that won't offend them (and my grandmother is easily offended *roll eyes here*) or ideas of just what to do with them for the few hours. My mom picked out a cake and we'll open presents, but what about the times in between? If you want to tell me all about your baby shower (or ones you've been to) that would be a great help! I just want to help my mom make my baby shower a hit and very memorable! The only thing I have suggested so far is a journal where everyone can write a small note to the baby, and my grandma shot it down (What if they don't know what to write? You're putting them on the spot! GRRRR!!!!)

Tay-Brittnie

Asked by Tay-Brittnie at 1:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Google Baby Shower Games, I am sure you will find PLENTY of things to do that won't be too (rolls eyes) offending! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 1:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Wash babies? J/K :)
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:26 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Some games that are always played at baby shower I've been do are:

Guess how big mom's belly is using yarn or ribbon

unscramble baby words list (obltet = bottle)

Fill in the Nursery Rhyme (Rock-a-bye baby on the ________.)

Don't say BABY game (everyone gets a baby pin and if you hear someone say the word baby you take their pin, person with the most pins at the end of the party wins.)

GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 1:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• At my shower they had tons of little multi colored clothes pins and you were supposed to not say "baby" the whole time. & If someone caught you saying baby you had to give them you're pin. Whoever had the most at the end of the shower got a little gift. Also, we had little games that were bought pre-made, like word searches and the 'how many words can you make out of this word' type deal. All baby related ofcourse.. We also had a game where each person got to cut off a piece of string to represent how big they thought my belly was. (wrapped around back w/ends pulled together at the front, if you know what I mean?) & The person who's string was closest to the actual size of my belly got a little gift (which were mostly just things like candles, lotions, bath products and such, things ladies like, lol) & One more thing.. We played a game of hot potato w/ a baby bottle, lol. But Im not sure how that would fly for you since you
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• said most of your guests are older. GL! Hope your shower turns out well :)
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 1:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think the journal idea is cute and original! It's not THAT hard to think of something to say... and it could be optional.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 1:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I've thrown a LOT of baby showers and I personally think the idea is to get people in and out in 2 hours. No more. People don't want to be at a baby shower all day. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's true. Welcome everyone, feed them. You eat first and start opening gifts while people finish their meal and cake is being served.

We play a very easy timer game. While you're opening gifts, set a kitchen timer at five minute intervals. When it goes off, the giver of the gift you're opening gets a prize.

We also like to play a trivia game about you and your significant other as babies, and the guests play in teams (if they're in tables that makes it easy.) Mom's can't play! They know the answers already! The table that answers the most questions right gets a tray full of chocolate covered strawberries (or something simple like that).

Thank everyone and wish them well.

Simple and easy is the way to go!

Melissa823

Answer by Melissa823 at 7:20 PM on Jul. 8, 2010