It's only Thursday and the mead is flowing

What can I say? School's out. So I sit here pondering...why is it the people who are most adamant that judgment is reserved for a supreme being are the ones who spend the most time judging those around them? There seems to be some sort of conflict there. I mean, there are a ton of people here who follow the same general set of principles, but they don't go around judging everyone else, and they are the last ones to tell you you have to behave lest that one being judge you, even though they believe in that being with all their hearts. It seems only the ones who try the very loudest fall the hardest. Why is that?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• well I clicked on the question because of the Mead ;o) Oh how I miss mead! apparently they don't know about it down here in FL!

anyways, In my religion searching over the years, I learned that all religions do have the same basic principles - golden rule for example, even similar stories such as the big flood.

I really don't know why everyone nit-picks about the details! Really bugs me too.

OK thinking back I may have totally gotten off topic there LOL oh well
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I get the point of what you're saying but then aren't you guilty of judging as well by judging those who judge others?? Slippery slope isn't it?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

I can only be guilty if I abide by a rule against judging. I don't. There is no such thing in my faith, rather it's the opposite - an intricate series of considerations to determine someone's status and how much respect they are due. On the other hand, some people run around screaming about how it's only their supreme being's job to judge, and at the same time, they judge. They choose to be bound by that rule and then break it repeatedly. If they did one or the other, they'd be ok. It's when they try to do both they become hypocrites.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It's because people are not perfect, and don't always practice what they preach. I'll use myself as an example. I make a genuine effort not to judge. Do I still do it sometimes? Yes, despite my efforts. There are things I'm passionate about, and I sometimes lack self-control to suppress judgment. However, at the end of the day, when I reflect on it, I always try to start over, and ultimately do leave the judging up to the God that I believe in. I know that it's not my place to judge, and at least I try not to. I get better at it as I get older and gain maturity. Life is about lessons, and learning to deal with your faults. I think a lot of people, even religious ones, still haven't overcome those faults.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 1:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I can only be guilty if I abide by a rule against judging. "

You can still be guilty of judging, you just wouldn't be guilty of hypocrisy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can still be guilty of judging, you just wouldn't be guilty of hypocrisy.

"Guilty" if you consider it to be a negative thing. I mean, I'm guilty of having a son, too, but that doesn't really have a negative connotation. People make judgments every day. Look at the thread in P&CE about the woman using a baby to convince people to let her into their home so she can rob them - people answered their door and judged her as someone in need. What they did was not negative. Unfortunate, but not something they are "guilty" of.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I never said it with negative connotation. I used it in response to the words you used. You said you wouldn't be guilty of judging. I said said what I said in lack of a better word.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oops, one too many "saids" in my last post, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

• Woot woot lovingSAHMommy I am the same way. I try hard not to judge others but I am only human. We judge based on dress, sex, looks so on and so on. to be human is to err.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Woot woot lovingSAHMommy I am the same way. I try hard not to judge others but I am only human. We judge based on dress, sex, looks so on and so on. to be human is to err."

Exactly. To say that you're perfect, then to sin is hypocritical. I never claim to be perfect. I'm human. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 2:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010