If you do/did formula feed, what is a choice?

Or were you unable?

This is NOT a post meant for bashing, so if you're going to do so, go to another post and do it.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 1:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• Breastfeeding is a personal choice, it should come from the heart not from obligation, I did not breast feed any of mine and they have always been healthier than most, full grown adults with no issues, even my daughter who is overweight has no health issues.

Answer by older at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Only my oldest had formula, I started out breastfeeding but we switched to a soy formula when my son had breathing problems. At the time i didnt know as much about breastfeeding as i do now. My other two children both were breastfed and never had formula, I breastfed each of them until age 3.

I think that what works best for a persons family is what they should do, my personal choice is to breastfeed but I used formula when that was what worked best for my child.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I FF my older two. I had NO clue what I was doing, no support, knew NOTHING about the mechanics of BFing or any of that business. My attempt to BF them failed fairly early on. However, to say that I was UNABLE to, is not correct. I would have been perfectly able to had I known what the heck I was doing, and didn't have well meaning loved ones shoving formula in my face. But it wasn't really a choice either. I didn't WANT to FF, but that's what I ended up doing.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 1:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• LOL @ soy is the worst well hun 12 years ago we didnt know what we know now about soy so at the time it wasnt the worst it was just fine.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I breastfed, had to supplement with formula due to weight gain issues. After supplementing ended, did mostly breast, but would use the occasional bottle of formula when out and about.
    All of my kids self weaned at about 6 months old. And quite honestly, I didn't try to fight them on it, they had teeth and it hurt LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I chose to FF. My son is 9 years old now and is at the top of his class(goes to enrichment, not bragging just trying to make a point) and completely average in height and weight.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had to formula feed my second bc of my own stupidity but I went with Good start and even though I detest formula to me it was the best. She never spit up, had constipation,and well it didn't cause her to be obese lol if anything I need to fatten her up. She is almost 5 :) turns 5 next month!
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• All 3 of mine have been FF. With the first, she was started on formula in the hospital due to her size. I was able to wean her off for a brief period of time, but I just really couldn't produce to keep up with her. I worked with lactation experts and the doctor but nothing improved. Pumping didn't work either. With the second, I tried to breastfeed as well, but again didn't produce enough and with having a 17 month old at home as well, I didn't do well with the stress of fighting the breastfeeding and dealing with her sister. So, she ended up on formula. My newest litle guy was a lazy eater at first. Anything he had to work for, he wouldn't do. Add my continued lack of production and the kiddo needed formula. So, I tried to breastfeed, but I don't produce enough and found I don't deal well with the stress of not producing and continuing to try when formula feeding was just easier for us.
    mupt02

Answer by mupt02 at 9:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I did try to bf with my 1st, unfortunately it was not a good thing (many reasons) and he was put on formula before we left the hospital. We started with similac, but did not like it and then went to Enfamil. My 2nd and 3rd were FF from the start. My 2nd was on Enfamil, my 3rd we used Good Start.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i forumla feed our son only cause the doctors thought it would be to much pressure for me(being a heart patient) to breastfed. when the nurses started feeding him they had a hard find the one he would keep down. the only one my son would keep down was a soybased forumla and that is what he had cause the milkbased ones made him throw up.
    shorty13417

Answer by shorty13417 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2010