i really don't know if i should cover my baby when she's sleeping cause it's summer.

it's a really hot summer here, average daily temp is 98 degrees so we always have the air conditioner on, we have a small one bedroom apt and our baby who is due in a few days will be sleeping in the living room cause that's where her crib fits, our room is only 5 feet away. anyway the AC is in the living room and i was wondering if she should be covered up while sleeping. how am i supposed to be able to tell if she is too hot or too cold?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you run the AC all day, I would advise you to turn it off at night, especially if your baby is going to be sleeping in the same room. It's said that you're not supposed to cover them with a blanket that young anyway. A simple one piece sleeper should keep her plenty warm if you keep the AC off.
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 2:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• They say that if you're cold you're child is usually cold as well. I always used just a thin sheet or one of the light baby blankets for my son when he was first born.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I always "swaddled" him. I think thats what they called it, lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Just keep the house temp at what is normal for you, babies always seem warm, but you will want to bundle her in a light blanket because they love to be swaddled.

Since your House is AC the outside temp will barely effect her so bundle up, she'll love it, and sleep more.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• the way I always thought of it was if I would want a blanket, then I covered the baby or swaddle when they were little little.

it's not too difficult to tell if baby is hot or cold, you tell by feel. Touch baby on the back or tummy, if it feels hot, baby is hot, if it's cool to the touch, baby is cold.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 2:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It puts your baby at risk of sids to use a sheet or blanket. Put your baby in a sleeper for the night. It is recommended your baby sleep in your room. Some other things to do to reduce sids are to breastfeed and to use a fan in the room.

http://www.parentingscience.com/SIDS-prevention.html

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would swaddle the baby and cover her up with a small blanket, since she will be a newborn there skin is very sensitive and they get cold a lot easier then we do, I would keep her as far as possible from the AC, the best way to tell if your baby is cold is by feeling there feet, if there cold then the baby is sure cold.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you need the a/c on then you can cover her. That doesn't mean a loose blanket like you'd use, if it's cool dress her in a sleeper and swaddle her in a light blanket. My middle son was born in the coldest Oct we'd had in over 100 years and his room was cold. He wore a footed sleeper, then I swaddled him in a light blanket and then I wrapped him in a home made baby quilt. He looked like a little baby burrito! For just a/c I'd use the sleeper and a light blanket. It's about judging risk factors - no a/c you probably don't need to cover her, but overheating holds it's own risks. As long as the blanket doesn't cover her face swaddling her is fine.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Oh and don't judge baby's temp by hands or feet. Feel her back or chest, if her feet are cold put socks on them, but babies hands and feet are not great indicators of their actual temp - they can have cold feet on the hottest of days.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If youm heep the house at a reasonable temperature there will be no need to woory about being too cold. Babies are tactile creatures, skin to skin contact is important and too many clothes on a newborn is cumbersome.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010