What would you consider "Well off" and what would you consider "rich" when talking about yearly salaries?

I realize this depends a little on where you live and the cost of living there.

I would say 100k+ is well off and I would consider 250k+ a year rich.

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 2:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I consider 100 comfortable but not well off, 150-200 to me is well off anything over 250 is rich to me.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 40-60k well off, anything above rich. lol...I grew up poor, and the median household income where I live is 32k.
    LuvMyDestiny

Answer by LuvMyDestiny at 1:07 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 120K a year is really not that much and we live in an area that is relatively low in cost of living. We are comfortable, but I would never consider us well off. Far from it.
    I would say 250K/year is well off and 400K/year is rich or at least on your way to rich:)
    You might say I have too many expenses so that's why I think 120K isn't much, but we have the smallest and cheapest house on the block and only have the mortgage and student loans for debt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't think of it in terms of income, but how the income is used. If people save a lot and have what they need to be comfortable they can be well off. I know a couple who reitred early because they saved like mad , even with 4 children and income of 60K max, and are now "well off' in their retirement. They are to be envied. Even the "rich" can be poor because of credit card debt ,overspending, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 200K = well off
    400k+ = rich

in between I would consider very well off
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Well off would be 200k and 600k is rich. I live in Los Angeles and where i live everybody is mostly well off but but we aren't totally up to there level yet...one day we will (cross fingers, sooner than later)
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 4:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It depends greatly on where you live, and family size! My stepdad made what most people would consider an incredible amount of money/year, but it was spread between 7 people so although we were comfortable, if we were only a family of 4 we would have been MORE comfortable. For MY family of 7 to be "well off" I would say my husband would need to make somewhere around 150K, to be "rich" probably around 300K/year. But he doesn't make anywhere near those numbers and we do okay, I'm happy.

Answer by missanc at 8:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• depends on many things, especially your family size, i think well off is what Jesus says, moderate,what you need you can aquire and you learn to be smart with finances.

To be rich is what Jesus said, to be moderate,have everything above that i wrote plus be able to give away to others and still being able to to do the things important in life.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010