Legalizing marijuana is civil rights issue, California NAACP says

This has to be a joke. The NAACP must not be getting enough donations...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/07/naacp.marijuana.support/index.html?hpt=T2

What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I read some of it and stopped. I think what we have already, Marijuana for medicinal purposes is a good thing. It keeps people from using illegally, and although people abuse the privilege, some really need it. My Cousin had sickle-cell enemia and it's a very painful disease. This was his survival and means of life because he grew marijuana for the medical marijuana clubs so he could live and make money, since any normal job was not possible.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I'm all for legal marijuana, and I live in California. While I don't agree that its a civil rights issue, I am glad there's at least one major organization getting behind this proposition. If it were to be legalized it would bring more jobs and could be heavily taxed, something California desperately needs right now.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:03 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• i am ALL FOR LEGALIZING marijuana.
    Arizona actually votes for medical marijuana in nov. ill be voting for it!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• lol gimmie a break

I think it should be legal for medical purposes only with regulation.I'd rather not see pot cafes and the smell is nauseating.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• It is, those for small gov't should in theory agree.....They are infringing on your rights

I would say the real civil rights violation is the disproportionate sentencing for drug charges based on race and income levels

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree its civil rights, they dont care its part of what they call "religious practice", they have no respect for that, My ancestors have used it for ages for meditation and guidance,for medicine, they dont respect it at tall.

Marijuana helps many people relax, just like a cold beer, but beer is more deadly, it kills brain cells and causes bad drivers.
    Marijuana causes cautious drivers and still gives the relaxing effect.

it helps with diabetes,mental health,anxiety,depression,the list can go on and on, but places on choose to honor a few disease it helps instead of 1.

The drug companies cant stand losing money and pharmacy store addicts. I say this from a phramcy worker point of view.
    By FDA law Marijuana is not a drug because its not manufactured.

Sick how people will take drugs people make,but wont use herbs and plants nature made-nature is part of us. youd be amazed how long you would live if you lived in peace with
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Why does the NAACP even continue to exist?!?! With "the first black president" now occupying the White House, I should think the NAACP would be now be satisfied with the "advancements" the people they advocate for have made! No?! Is there something more to achieve?! Pope, perhaps?! :o)

Legalizing marijuana has NOTHING to do with the color of one's skin.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:41 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

Because Blacks/Minorities are still hired less and paid less. Minorities are still discriminated against on a large scale that effects entire communities. Institutionalized racism still exists

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:44 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The drug companies cant stand losing money and pharmacy store addicts. I say this from a phramcy worker point of view.

100%! The WORST drug problem facing our country is LEGAL ONES

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Because Blacks/Minorities are still hired less and paid less. Minorities are still discriminated against on a large scale that effects entire communities. Institutionalized racism still exists

***

Actually, ILLEGALS make more than blacks doing the same exact job!!! Did you know that?

Here's an article that explains THAT fact!!

"For their efforts, African Americans were paid a median household income of $32,000 in 2007. In the same year, the median household income for illegal immigrants was $37,000."

http://www.theroot.com/views/how-illegal-immigration-hurts-black-america

Perhaps if we got rid of the illegals, it would go a long way toward blacks getting their fair share--and look, no need for the NAACP!!!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2010