Has anybody ever stolen your credit card information?

I got a call from discover card today asking me if I stopped by Home Depot today to make a $1500.00 purchase, I said no. They asked me if I stopped by Gamestop and spent $200.00, I said no. Then they asked me if I stopped by Olive Garden for lunch haha, I said I wish!
I shred EVERYTHING! I'm really careful about this and do everything I can to prevent this from happening and it still happened. Ugh! They are taking care of it so I didn't lose any money, thank goodness, I can't afford to do my own home improvements let alone pay for others...
Has something like this happened to you? I'm just curious as to how common this is?

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 2:28 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• I represent a Company called PRe-paid Legal services...They also Partner with Kroll who provides IDENTITY THEFT AND COMPLETE RESTORATION for not just you but your WHOLE FAMILY (spouse, and minors too)
    Identity theft is the NUMBER 1 crime in America, and it is NOT a matter of IF it will happen to me, it IS a Matter of when...Right now as I type 1 in every 4 Americans is a Victim.
    It is also no longer JUST about your financial Instituions but your entire IDT. Kroll, is the number one int he world- they are used to protect our US Government officials! They do offer COMPLETE RSTORATION.
    Their protection covers 5 points Your FInancial Info, your Social Security #s, your Healthcare Info, your Drivers License #s, your FInancial Institutions, and your Criminal and Character Intent.

BTW YOUR HEALTHCARE INFO IS THE #1 STOLEN I.D. right now!

Message me I would be happy to help!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 8:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• A few years ago we had fraudulent charges on one of our credit cards. Our local convenience store's files had been hacked and everyone that used their credit card to buy gas had their identities stolen. Fortunately our CC company called us when they noticed the out of state charges for large amounts and took them off our account. Just one more reason to NOT have a credit card!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Credit Card NO but only because we don;'t have any. However, my Hubs had his identity stolen about 6 months back and whoever stole it did open a BofA bank account. Because we already bank there they sent me an e-mail asking me for different info and we caught it quickly who know what else could have happened??? We had to file a claim with BofA then they gave us info to call all 3 credit bureaus ad they can set an alert on y9our credit reports signifying that you were a victim of theft
    You wouldthink Home Depot has the person using your cc on film if they did it in person and if online then an address, right?? Good Luck!!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 2:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes. A few years ago my credit card company called asking if I had tried to make several purchases online one right after another. It was close to being maxed out so they didn't get too far. I also shred everything and am very careful. My husband thinks my credit card number was stolen by someone using some kind of credit card number generator that plugs the numbers in until it gets one that works. We don't know anything for sure though.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 2:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• OMGosh sorry .Some people.Several years ago I got a bill from a credit card that had a bit of a high rate but we had a line of credit for 25,000.00 on it,We would use it once a month or so just to use it.When I opened it the charges were around 40 thousand dollars with all numbers ,no names of stores except the one restaurant I had used .Called immediately and they put me through to fraud.Quickly they got back to tell me it was Czeck and in an electronics store,They also knew we had not been out of the country in 3 years hmmm they had checked every account we had ever.So they took it off except the next month was the interest and a charge for not paying the bill on time,They were then bought by another major card company and it took 7 more months to get it cleared.On a month then off a month continuing to accrue interest charges and those fees.Retired uncle/Judge wrote a letter and the Sr,V.P. called us..all fixed

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I had two charges on my debit card totalling $2,000; it took 2 months to get my money back. I used an Internet site that I'd never used before, we think they got my card info from there. I'm always really careful online - the bank said that the criminals are getting smarter.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010