I'm 19 weeks and I keep waking up in the middle of the night laying on my back.

This happens at lest 2x a night! I don't know how long I lay like that before I wake up, or if maybe I wake up because I'm laying like that so it hasn't been long...

I know I'm not supposed to be lying flat on my back after 16 weeks so how do I stop this? I don't remember having this problem with my 1st :( I've tried putting a pillow behind me so I'll roll onto that but it doesn't seem to be working?

Do you think I've hurt the baby? :(

Blueliner

Asked by Blueliner at 2:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no i do not think you have hurt your baby. i used to do the same thing. it seems like i went thru a time where i could not seem to stay off my back! i think you should try a pregnancy pillow. the thing about being on your back is that it puts pressure on a few blood vessels, and puts pressure on your baby. i got a pregnancy pillow and it was like a BIG C shaped. it helped me sooooo much!! and plus i slept so good. i continued to use it till my daughter, ( who was very small) got to about 8 months old. good luck!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 3:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No you haven't hurt the baby. I used to relax/lay on my back and was concerned, I asked my OB and he told me it was because the baby and all that weight lays on a vein when you lay on your back, which is a main vein, forgot the name. Anyway long before any effects your leg will go numb as a sign to roll to either side
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Dont worry about it too much. It doesnt hurt the baby, what can happen is the blood flow can be stopped or slowed to your brain and legs, so when you find yourself on your back in the morning, be careful. Just roll over and wait about 5 minutes before you get up. I dont remember what the vein/artery it is thats affected but thats why your not supposed to lay on your back. Have you tried putting a pillow between your legs or sleeping with a body pillow?
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 2:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I did that a lot. My doc was never concerned because the baby is so little at 19 weeks. When you reach that third trimester you will start to see why laying on your back is a NO NO. Till then you should be fine. Signs to roll over, even if you chose to lay on your back, is numbness in your legs or strained breathing, due to the extra weight of the baby.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If its hurting you to lay that way it wont happen. Obviously you are fine since you arent waking up in pain. Your body will get to a point where it wont allow you to sleep on your back because it hurts. I suggest sleeping with a body pillow between your legs, pretty soon you won't even roll at night because its the only comfortable position.
    momma_shuler

Answer by momma_shuler at 2:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• and the vein anon is talking about is the VENA CAVA, it sends oxygen/blood to baby and you, so the weight of you and the baby will be on this vein, but if you want you can put a pillow under your left side and this will release the pressure put on the veina cava, because it basically gets smushed, so blood flow slows, but just roll back to your side
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:01 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• it can cut off blood supply, but it is good that you are trying to stay off your back. mama, please don't stress about it. the stress is probably why you've waking up in the middle of the night several times, instead of getting a good night's rest. when you wake up, even if you're on your back, just roll over and go back to sleep. doctors even say that if you find yourself on your back, it's perfectly fine, as long as you don't sleep the entire eight hours that way.
    don't stress about your l/o. you and baby will be just fine. just don't sleep the entire eight hours that way!
    g/l and congrats!!!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 3:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do sleep with a pillow between my legs, I always have, but it doesn't seem to help, I guess I could try one of the big C shaped pregnancy pillows preggydyke was talking about...

I definitely haven't woken up with any numbness in my legs so that's reassuring, I was thinking that it could cut of the blood supply to the baby, not me, and so I wouldn't know if it was hurting him/her.
    Blueliner

Comment by Blueliner (original poster) at 3:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Your baby will be fine, I always end up waking up on my back.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:43 AM on Jul. 8, 2010