Anyone take amitriptyline (Elavil)??? Migraines while prego?? :(

My Dr. put me on Elavil to help me with my horrible daily migraines. I havent had 1 migraine since!
So- I think I may be pregnant and I googled Amitrip. and pregnancy to see what people said about taking this drug while pregnant... Its rated class C.. very bad! A list of possible birth defects showed up and now Im totally worried! The meds say you have to ween yourself off of this drug.. but should I keep taking it?? Even if its in smaller doses, would it still hurt my baby? :(
Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while battling horrible migraines??
What did you do to help them??
thnx!

davesgirl86

Asked by davesgirl86 at 3:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• Im not really sure, but I would talk to your doc about it. Did he know that you were prego when he prescribed you this medication?
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:30 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• No, Im still waiting to see if my period ever decides to show up this month!
    I started taking the med. at the end of May. I just dont want to be taking something that could be harmful :/
    davesgirl86

Comment by davesgirl86 (original poster) at 3:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• & I am familiar w/ amitrip. bc my Mother used to take it for the same reasons and she said its a pretty strong pill, so honestly I would just have a talk w/ your doctor and see what they think about it. GL to you and I hope everything works out for the best.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I have only taken it once and i was not pregnant, I hated the way it made me feel and stopped taking it. I have horrid migranes but the way it felt to be on that med was so not worth it for me. Talk to your doctor asap, i dont think its a good idea to take it if you are pregnant.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:38 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thank you.. Im pretty terrified to get another migraine :( They started about a year ago for no apparent reason. I cant imagine not having my Imitrex when I need it now, let alone NOT being able to take anything while pregnant and having a migraine attack.
    davesgirl86

Comment by davesgirl86 (original poster) at 3:39 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Awe, Im so sorry. Im sure there has to be a safer alternative if you do find out your pregnant. Migraines are a horrible thing to have to cope with, I get them often as well.. But have never brought myself to go get examined, even though I know I should. I really wish you the best though, sorry Im not much help, lol.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 3:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My migraines started when I was pregnant. My OB put me on Tylenol 3s and they helped.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• nope i dont do drugs, drugs are aweful i use herbs for that. Natural and relaxing.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010