Would you give your hyper toddler sleeping medicine to put them to sleep?

I was in shock that someone would do this? Isn't that some sort of abuse??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No Ma'am. My dd is hyper. Anytime she was sick and needed meds the ones that usually put kids to sleep had her bouncing off the walls. I like a more natural approach. I use an oil called peace and calm. Calms her down, puts me to sleep :). I don't give meds untill I have to. I don't understand parents that aren't responsible with medication....
    rosekng

Answer by rosekng at 4:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Our family has kids and grandkids that do not sleep I have found a "herbal" sleep aid that has melatonin, and chamomile that we all swear by. Now for a toddler IDK maybe a 4 year old but we usually reserve this until the kids are about 6.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 5:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do not havae a problem getting my son to sleep, but I know many mothers of autistic children do have this problem. Many parents will give their children melatonin to help them get to sleep. I do not begrudge these parents wanting to use a sleep aid to help their children get some sleep. Parents need their sleep as well.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• When I was on a flight from new jersey to Germany by myself with my 2 girls I gave them bendryl bt that was mostly for their ears and it's not a regular thing.
    lovie04256

Answer by lovie04256 at 7:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Never. I just let him run it out until he passes out. He's very hyper before bedtime, but he'll be so tired that he'll start running into things. That's when I know to go put him down for bed.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• nope either candy or herbal remedies helps that problem.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I can understand the melatonin because it is natural, but anything else I wouldn't give to them.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 9:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Absolutely not! I have a friend that does that--gives her kids Benadryl so they go to sleep so she can party--aggravates the crap outta me!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:35 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My 2YO is really hyper before bedtime. I usually just let him run around until he tires himself out. I've been know to let him play outside until 7 or 8...riding his tricycle or whatever. Then I just give him a bath & we'll lay down w/ an Elmo DVD or book and he'll just fall asleep.
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 29, 2010