breastfeeding question

For some reason when I had my son I didn't produce that much milk at all. and no it wasn't because of not latching correctly. My lactation consultant and I even tried pumping but I only got three fourths of an ounce in 30 mins of pumping. So I ended up needing to formula feeding my son. Anyways my question is, is this same problem going to happen when I have my daughter? Im kinda afraid to even try breastfeeding her. I moved to a different country since Ive had my son so I don't have a lactation consultant to help me this time and getting one is out of the picture.

jessran1218

Asked by jessran1218 at 6:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try not to worry about the volume of your milk. a newborn has a tummy the size of a pea, you don't even need an ounce at a time. letting your baby suck whenever they are awake is the best way to build the supply your baby needs. you do not need to be leaking milk and you do not need to feel full or engorged to have enough milk for your baby. i am breastfeeding my 5th child now. the only time i ever leaked was when i had my twins, and that was just once. i was also told that i did not have enough milk to feed one of my babies, but i did it anyhow : ) i supplemented the first month, when he was in the nicu, but as soon as we got home i took him off the formula and he did great!
    contact la leche league, and do some reading on kellymom.com those are great resources!
    i wish you the best of luck mama! and i commend your wanting to breastfeed your children. don't let a lactation consultant from the hopital convince you that you can't
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 7:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• At first you will only have colostrum which is enough for baby, just listen to the gulps, that's what I did when I was unsure. Then Your milk will come in 2-5days after birth. Pumping doesn't really work for all women. I know my LO eats all of the time, and a lot, but a pump is NOTHING compared to what a baby can do. Good Luck and join the breast feeding group on cafemom for plenty of support since you don't have help
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Jul. 8, 2010