Anyone else disapointed by the low morality on tv?

My son has started really liking to watch Full House...and it was on this morning at 630 on teennick.

As I was watching it with him a music video came on where the singers were passing out beer bottles and partying and drinking them.

WHY!?!?!? This is suppose to be a TEEN channel. You are not suppose to legally drink until 21 so WHY are they pushing this drinking?

My son wants to watch full house, which I think is perfectly fine for him to watch!!! BUT I DONT WANT HIM WATCHING THESE VIDEOS!

Why do they do this?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Entertainment

• I think that our society sees nothing wrong with stuff like that anymore. I think sometimes our kids are taught stuff on TV whether a show or more so music videos that come one Nick, which I still don't get the point of it, that they would never see otherwise in our home. That makes me so mad at Teennick!
    l0v3myg1rl5

Answer by l0v3myg1rl5 at 8:18 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Change the channel until the show comes back on. But I don't think that it'll make him an alcoholic...watching the video. Besides, shouldn't your parenting skills & your ability to raise him trump tv's influence on him?
    paige8608

Answer by paige8608 at 8:17 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I think it disgusts me more than disappoints. What you could do is record the old shows and cut out the commercials or many of them are even being sold on dvd. I've already bought the Little House on the Prairie and The Waltons for the grandchildren and plan to buy more. It is getting harder and harder to guard morality because there is so little of it left any more.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• IIt's reality. Your child is going to see real peopl drink beer at some point & this will be much more if an encouragement that seeing it on TV. What was the commercial for? We watch nick all the time & have never seen a commercial like that. Anyhow, If you instill good values in your child & teach them right from wrong, then he will make good choices in life. Its like swearing...your kids are going to hear swear words whether you like it or not at some point in ther young lives. You have to prepare them for it & let them know how you feel about those nasty words. You can't shelter your kids from everything & the ones who are sheltered have a harder time conforming to a real lifestyle & have harder times when things get rough as an adult. Sheltered kids don't know how to deal with reality that well. If you are so worried about the commercial, i would just tell him they are drinking soda pop.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• yup, that why we dont watch it. havent for years!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:13 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Its all about choices. You have to choose what is appropriate for your kids. Just because it is on, its your choice as to whom gets to watch it. I don't like it either. Kids are growing up so fast the way it is. Teach your kids right from wrong and hope they make the right choices too.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Do you or your SO drink in front of him? If so,THAT will influence him more than what he sees on tv.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Believe it or not, it is normal for people to drink. My mom is Argentine & we grew up with wine on the table every single night. Both my parents drank it right in front of us. None of my 5 brothers & sisters have a drinking problem, or even like drinking. It's the kids who are sheltered from the reality of it who are way more curious about it when they become teens. For us it was normal & nothing to get excited about. But for sheltered kids, it is something to get excited about because they are not used to it. I'm not praising the commercial at all, just looking at it roma  different point of view. I do think its weird that they had that commercial on nick.

Maybe you should write them a letter... file a complaint. I'm sure you're not the only mom who is pissed off about that commercial.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree, it should not be on a teen channel, because you don't expect to see that when you're watching something like full house. Yes, he will see other people drink and that will influence him, but why push it at such an early age? There are things on ABC family I won't let my daughter watch because I just don't think it's age approiate for her. I don't think you overreacted at all, I wish there were still shows on today like full house and Andy Griffith.
    jillisue808

Answer by jillisue808 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Its just makes me ill....mainly b/c the show is ok...IMO but the stupid commercials and videos are not!

They even had a KEG!!!!

No wonder Americas youth are getting lost and having such issues!!!
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 8:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2010