I know I have a mental issue, and I know that I need help with it but what do you do if no one in your family really believes you?

I have a condition called Dystymia, it is a form of depression and I was diagnosed and supposed to be finding meds with a dr. I am not able to due to some finanical issues we are having that we are working on resolving. My family just doesn't believe me and I am stuck dealing with it on my own.
What can I do to help myself with this at the moment without meds and without support? I am in a down mood and am not able to function to the best of my abilities. I am so tired and out of it.
Thanks!!

Nakor21

Asked by Nakor21 at 8:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Health

• Many communities have free or low-cost psychiatric services, have you looked into those? Depression isn't understood very well sometimes, I'm sorry that you aren't getting the support you need from your family. You could try Googling home remedies (St Johns Wort, for example), but I really think that you need a professional's help, especially without a support system.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Yes, try to find help through your town offices, state mental health department, or local hospital. Call and ask questions and explain your need for help. There are assistance programs out there. best wishes
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I agree with the other 2 previous people's comments. Check with your local hospital, and they can help you get state-funded assistance. It is important to search out different avenues for help; since medical and mental health coverage can be confusing. I believe that ONLY YOU can be the judge of how you are feeling each day. If you need support - please feel free to send me a message! I hope you can get help soon and start feeling better!

Bostonsbest

Answer by Bostonsbest at 9:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Have you tried altering your diet to help with your depression?  Common foods are much less expensive than medications, and while it may not address all of your issues, it certainly couldn't hurt!

Apricots, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrots, peaches, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potato, blueberries, grapefruit, oranges, peppers, potatoes, strawberries, tomato, nuts and seeds, whole grains, fruits, dark green leafy vegetables, beans and peas, lean beef, low-fat cheese, fatty (Omega 3) fish, milk, poultry, soy products, yogurt, and certain daily multi vitamins, can boost the seratonum levels in your brain.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/diet-recovery

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Don't worry about what your family believes. If you have been diagnosed and are confident that, that's the correct diagnosis, then you get the help you need. Your family can ignore what they dont' agree with.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Try your local hospital, local church, contact mental health professionals and ask about sliding fee scales, and private pay.

You don't need your family's permission to get help. It's between you and your doctor.
    I would also look into food alternatives as well, and taking vitamins & exercising. It's not a replacement for therapy and medication, but it can help.
    Ultimately, you need to CHOOSE to help yourself. No matter how hard it is, or how much you don't want to get out of bed.
    Good luck to you!
    ARmom

Answer by ARmom at 11:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Don't worry about your family. You have made a huge step in trying to get help. Check with community resources. Also, drug companies have a plan for helping people who can't afford meds. Talk with your doctor.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 1:45 PM on Jul. 9, 2010