If you were a single mom with one child and you made about $12.00/hr at your job how much do you think you could afford to pay a babysitter?

A friend of mine is in need of a sitter. I do babysitting out of my home. My regular charge for full time is $25.00 per day...so that would cost her $125.00 per week.
I offered her a discount of $20.00 per day with meals included. But I still feel bad, like she may not be able to afford it..but I really can't afford to go any lower myself.
What would you feel comfortable paying in that situation?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 8:53 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Money & Work

• Honestly, that is a fair price for sitting for anyone. I know we all do try and help others out, but honey friend or not, her finances are not your responsibility. You offered her your services at a very reasonable price, that is all you can do.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:57 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She should look into day care assistance. In reality, I can't tell you how much she can afford, because there are other factors we don't know, like rent, car payment, etc.

It's nice of you to offer a discount.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can’t place emotion with your services. If you charge $25 a day then you should stay with that figure. She can look else where that’s affordable to her pocket book.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Don't go any lower than you realistically can. You are trying to earn a living too. You don't want to end up resentful.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 150.00 a week
    Tash438

Answer by Tash438 at 9:46 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• What she could afford depends on her lifestyle. What luxeries she pays for, etc.
    However, I agree with your paying system. I think that you have the right idea of paying 25 dollars a day. That's a good minimum wage job right there really for one kid.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I could not afford a babysitter. Take home pay is probably $10 an hour, then food, rent, utilities, transporation...

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• *OH- I jsut re-read it so you would charge her 20.00 a day? it still depends on her bills
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:20 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If someone cannot afford 5$ per day this is a concern for thinking that what is all her money spent on , is the child in diapers, are their
    more facts of what she is drained from than she's letting out. Like we all could just watch children and give them support and help out for less, but as one replied, this isn't about emotion. That doesn't pay bills. On the other hand if 5$ per day is the lowest one can go on the board, than this is something of a concern for her having any job, maybe her spending accounts need to be looked at and she can pull out gaps of overspending as to not spend on so much of unneeded items.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:22 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• There are two things going on here, and while they are related, they don't have to be interdependent.

One issue is business. I am a single mom and i can barely afford to keep my head above water, and lemme tell ya, if I could find quality care for $25/day I would be singing in the rain!! You really shouldn't charge her less than YOU need to earn to make it worthwhile from a business perspective. Of course you should offer her a discount - I think all businesses should offer discounts using some kind of criteria. But don't go lower unless you make a cconscious decision to do this as charity work. Do you usualy do volunteer work or donate to charity? Would doing this instead of those activities work for you (timewise, moneywise, ethics-wise)?

The other issue here is this mom's terrible situation. It is indeed terrible. I don't know all the details but if she has to leave her child with someone in order to make a living, :(
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010