At what age did you start giving your children an allowance?

MyGirlParadise

Asked by MyGirlParadise at 8:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our children have 3 sets of chores, money chores, everyday chores, and just because Mommy said chores. The ONLY chore they make money on are their money chores. They can earn up to $14 in a 2 week pay period. Often on "pay day" we only give them $5 each because they didn't not do that many money chores. We don't ask them or hound them about the money chores. They are chores that are nice if they are done, but not necessary for the daily functions of the household. The money they earn is solely based on job performance. If they did their money chores daily they would get a $14 a paid period, but seeing THEY choose not to they get the $4-7 they earn and that's it. They however do their everyday chores every day. My kids are 8 and 9 we started this money system with special money chores when they were 5 and 6. Sometimes there is something they want so then they work everyday to get that money! Doing Money chores is how my DS...
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:02 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Doing Money chores is how my DS paid for his own Ninetedo DS. It took him almost a 4 month to get the money, but he did! (He got it from working and saving b-day money) Since getting the DS he hasn't have any 'drive' to work, because there is really nothing he wants. He has gotten all of his games from money he has earned or given to him for B-day presents. So we may get a month or 2 when he'll work because he wants a new game. However, outside of that he really doesn't have drive for money. My DD on the other hand, just hasn't found anything she really wants. She clearly could have a Nintendo DS, but clearly she doesn't want one. She'll sometimes play on our son's Nintendo DS because he'll let her and that good enough for her. That's the reason our Money chores, the ONLY chores that earn money are not chores that NEED to be done to run the household. We make them do other chores daily, the money chores is solely up to them
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She was 9 when we started formally giving her an allowance. We thought she needed to learn the value of money AND the satisfaction of saving up for something she really wanted. Recently she purchased her own laptop computer.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 6 or 7 just enough for like a candy bar or a small toy when if they do their chores and things
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• 7 years of age
    Tash438

Answer by Tash438 at 9:45 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• never. chores and stuff is a team effort. a family is a team. If they ask for something and they have been doing good with chores, school, etc then we will usually give them the money for it. Or money to go to the mall or a movie. But we didn't want them to learn that giving a helping hand automatically gets u money.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:17 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I started giving allowance when my son was 3. He got $1 a week and he'd buy a Hot Wheels car most weeks but once in a while he'd save up for something bigger. When he was about 4 1/2 he said he wanted a raise so I told him he could have an additional dollar per week if he cleaned his bedroom alone each week. He is almost 5 now and he gets the $2 most weeks and saves up for stuff. He's financially responsible and he doesn't try to talk me in to buying stuff for him.

I think an allowance is important. If you just give kids money when they ask for something then that teaches them that asking for money gets them money and they never have to work for anything. Not good.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:59 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• my son started getting allowance at 10 his chorse are to feed his dogs take out trash clear table after meals and keep his room and bathroom clean . His allowance goes in a bank account in his name and he is allowed to spend only half of it. so far this has really taught him to save for things he wants also he asks his gp if he can earn extra cash helping them out.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 3:00 AM on Jul. 9, 2010

• As soon as they start to help around the house. I give my twin girls that are seven a few dollars and they think its great! it teaches them to be responsible at a young age. they love it. My older son that is twelve gets money every two weeks as long as he does his chores. If he gets a attitude about it, he doesnt get a dime. Because I do not make my kids do much, so if I get attitude your not getting anything, thats how it would be with a job. You would be fired ;)
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 10:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2010