Are you in favor of sending parents to jail for 3 days for missing PTA meetings?

In the ongoing saga of Detroit's dysfunction comes Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy's (pictured above) bright idea to jail parents in Detroit for up to three days for repeatedly missing parent-teacher conferences.

Worthy's argument is that parents who are not accountable for their children are part of the problem with elevated truancy, dropout rates and a recent rash of violent crimes involving teens:
"I have seen that younger and younger children are committing more violent acts, and we need to look at different approaches," Worthy told reporters. "I know we need to try something different. We should not have to legislate this, but what we have been doing is not working."
http://www.bvblackspin.com/2010/07/07/detroit-parents-may-face-jail-time-for-missing-parent-teacher-meeting/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in General Parenting

• First, let me say that I have always been VERY involved in my kids schools over the yrs in all sorts of volunteer positions - and that's been a lot of yrs, as they are going into 11th and 12th grade. I've also attended every parent teacher conference.

However, PTA is VOLUNTARY, and parent / teacher conferences, while wonderful and strongly encouraged, are not always at times that parents can go - no matter how much they want to.

So, frankly, NO, I do NOT think that they should be jailed for missing them. However, I have no problem with, say, if the kid commits a certain level of offense or if they are a repeat offender as far (as they talked about children committing violent crimes), then I think the court should order something like the parent and child have to spend so much time together with the parent directly supervising, using ankle bracelets to make sure they do, or they have to do Community Service together.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:25 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• lol that is the dumbest crock of crap...
    oppsdiditagain

Answer by oppsdiditagain at 9:06 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• PTA meetings NO! But Parent/Teacher conferences maybe, But that would have to be a last resort if the child was having SEVERE problems. (Not just the usual childish behaviors in school). This coming from a former teacher. There were MANY times when I would have wished that a parent had been REQUIRED to attend a conference with me!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 9:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Putting a parent in jail for 3 days could just hurt the child even more. Assuming the parents work, they won't be getting paid for 3 days. What if the job they have will not give them the 3 days and then they end up getting fired? Or if the remaining parent has to work they will have to arrange for daycare which is another expense.

I wonder if they've tried phone conferences. I'm sure more parents would be willing to talk over the phone.

KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• LOL..if that was the case, I'd be in jail for awhile. I hate PTA meetings.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:09 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I do think that parents should be held more accountable for what their children are doing, but what would 3 days in jail help? Maybe a fine or ticket for parents who refuse to be involved in a problem childs life? I don't know that is even the right thing to do but It could help...maybe?
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• But not for PTA meetings (I hate them, nothing but whining) for the parent teacher conferences.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I was confused- you have PTA which is something totally different than Parent/Teacher conference. I do think it's VERY important for the parents and teacher to communicate and if you don't bother to go, then you're showing your lack of interest in your child's education. I know... I have to work, I can't find a babysitter and blah blah blah... but I"m SURE the teacher will work with you to find a convenient time that works.

I wouldn't go as far as to toss people in jial for NOT going... I just find it sad that so many parents don't care about their children.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Is this a joke?! Talk about wasting tax payer money....
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I don't know how to get parents to be more responsible to get to these conferences..........it says parent teacher conferences not PTA meetings.........but jail?? Crazy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:12 AM on Jul. 8, 2010