My daughters friend beats her up

I just don't understand the relationship my 16 year old daughter has with her best friend. Her friend is constantly punching and bruising my daughter. The are so close though. They really get along well and seem to understand each other. I have just never seen an abbusive relationship between to young girls. Any thoughts?

Mortimer

Asked by Mortimer at 9:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• like play punch or they get mad and wrestle/box each other?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• My thought is that my 16-year old daughter would not be spending any time, anywhere with her so-called friend. It's very unhealthy on an emotional level for your child, not to mention the fact that she may end up physically hurt.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Maybe her friend has a hard time showing affection? One of my DD's friends used to pinch her all of time, I finally had to sit the friend down, show her the bruises, and tell her that it wasn't appropriate behavior. They were only 9 though.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would tell my daughter to get a new friend and have a lil chat with her friend....
    starestrada

Answer by starestrada at 9:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Can you talk to them both? Tell your friend that even if your daughter doesn't seem to mind, that you DO and she needs to keep her hands to herself!!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:59 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thanks I think I will take ktmom's advice. I am worried. But teenagers are so strange. I have a hard time understanding a lot of things they do. I will have a chat with both of them.
    Mortimer

Comment by Mortimer (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• She needs to break the habit of punching people now. Once she is no longer a minor it will really get her in trouble. Scary, she learned this behavior somewhere. You DD needs to understand that no one should be allowed to punch and leave marks on her...she needs to stick up for herself.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• This is a really unhealthy friendship, Why would your dd think it is alright to let someone who is supposed to be her friend treat her like that? I would be worried about how she would let a boy treat her. I think you should have a long talk with her and see what she is thinking. Does she have other friends? Maybe it is time for some new ones. Good luck.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 2:00 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You need to stop that behavior. That is assault plan and simple and a display of abusive behavior in your daughter's so called friend. That friend needs to understand that what she is doing is abusive.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:04 PM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You need to stop the behavior before the friend seriously hurts your daughter. This is NOT a normal or healthy friendship and it needs to be stopped. If the friend doesn't stop, the next time she hit my daughter I would be calling he cops. She is being abusive to your daughter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Jul. 8, 2010