• In the Spotlight:

Back Yard pool 18.5 inches deep/8 ft round...can I put bleach in it to help keep the water clean?

It really does use a lot of water.
We just got it a couple days ago...and its great..the kids love it..and so does mommy :)
To try to keep it clean so we don't have to change it more than once a week give or take a day or two..I use the baby pool to have the kids put thier feet in before getting into the bigger pool.
When pool time is done for the day, I go around and scoop any grass/bugs/depris out and we cover it with a tarp.
I was wondering if I could throw maybe a cup full of bleach it in at night to clean the water a bit..because I know kids and theres no doubt in my mind one of them have peed in there at one time or another,lol.
Do you think it would be okay to do that?

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 9:48 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Home & Garden

• We've used bleach and the chlorine packets, they both worked fine. Search on the Internet to find out how much/how often you should use it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would buy the cholorine packets and follow the instructions.
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 9:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The chlorine packets have more than just chlorine in them to condition the water, they have a balanced chemical combination. Chlorine bleach is not the same thing.

My husband had the brilliant idea one summer that we could save a ton of money by just using Chlorine bleach. Gallon after gallon of it went in the pool but we still had algae and bad water after a week. I overrode his decision and added a few chlorine tablets and the water cleared up in a couple of days.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I would buy a liquid gallon of chlorine from Walmart or a local pool store. It is easier on clothes as it is made for pools. Bleach is similar but will fade suits etc. Chlorine will take the color out of your clothes with direct contact too, so be careful when you pour it in. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can get chlorine tabs at Walmart and or a pool store. With out too much work you can keep it pretty clean. Other wise it becomes a balancing nightmare.
    The liquid chlorine is doable however you would need a test kit to see if you have it right and that is just not worth the headaches. So Go to the closest pool store, Walmart or Kmart and find the pool section.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Bleach will ruin the liner and make it dry rot. Get some pool supplies instead since that's what they were designed for.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Does it have a filter that the water runs through? If so you would just add the chlorine tablets into the filter or go buy the Algea stuff that comes in a gallon. It's only like $4.00 or so saves alot of time with all the algae that grows into pools. You can also research ways on the internet too. Have Fun!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 11:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Chlorine tablets
    smokeybear

Answer by smokeybear at 3:51 AM on Jul. 9, 2010