my baby doesnt feel well and i dont have a thermometer, also i havent bought any tylenol since the last recall, any ideas to help him?

i dont know how high his fever is, but its not that high(hes not very hot) but i can tell he doesnt feel well, hes cranky and sleepy and laying all over me. i try not to give medicine unless its really needed, but right now i dont have any (im still scared to buy it lol) so what can i do for him other than hold him. i believe he has a cold (coughing, runny nose, etc), and a low temp. i think i will just take his clothes off and wipe him with a cool cloth. what do you think?

secondtyme520

Asked by secondtyme520 at 9:52 AM on Jul. 8, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You can buy any store brand. Go to the Drug Store or Food Store & ask the Pharmacist for the Store Brand Substitutes of For Tylenol called Acetaminophen & Motrin called Ibuprofen. I just bought them at Shoprite Grocery Store. Like the other person just said, his fever may be higher than you think. Thermometers are not that expensive. You should have one. The Motrin "Ibuprofen" will last up to 8 hours so if you can just buy one, buy that one. It is for ages 2 and up though. If your child is less than 2, buy the Acetaminophen. Call your Dr. if he gets worse and maybe they can give you a thermometer for free. Hope he feels better!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:11 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• I very rarely give my children meds for fever unless absolutely necessary. A cool cloth on his forehead and neck should help. Just make sure you flip it to the "cool" side every few minutes. I also put a gel icepack under my child's pillow case when they are laying down, which really helps to keep them comfortable.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:56 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The generics were not part of the recall. Go get a thermometer, he may be hotter that you think.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• If you want to give him meds, buy the generic. They aren't involved in any recalls. Cheaper and the ingredients are the same.
    Also, a thermometer only costs about $5 for a cheap one and they work just as well.
    If you don't want to/can't do that, they yeah, the washcloth and stripping will work too. Hope he feels better. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• The generic brand Tylenol never had a recall....
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 9:54 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• well, im trying to strip him, and he wants to be under his covers so thats not helping lol. i think i may have some motrin that i bought like right after the recall had taken the tylenol off the shelf, has there been a recall on that too lol let me check!
    secondtyme520

Comment by secondtyme520 (original poster) at 10:08 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Get in the car go get a thermometer and some generic tylonel. Then love and comfort him till he falls asleep.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 10:10 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• You can buy a generic brand of Tylenol or Mortin.
    cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 10:58 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Fevers serve an important purpose, let it run its course, just keep an eye on it. love and cool cloths are wonderful.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:01 PM on Jul. 8, 2010